Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: TAS testers wanted  (Read 34180 times)

calamityjane

• Joined Aug 2011
  • sauchie
Re: TAS testers wanted
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011, 11:10:10 pm »
if someones writes a good post and you think its great funny etc you press like saves you writing a similar post i like it lol ::)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2011, 05:55:55 pm »
Need any more opinions or have you plenty now? ;)  I'd gladly have a look if you're still wanting feedback..

I'm not keen to link to FB personally, so hope what I say can remain within the TAS community even if someone else FB's a thread I have commented on or started?  Sorry, not techie enough about FB to know what you're suggesting tho link is definitely not the same as like :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

deepinthewoods

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2011, 09:11:28 pm »
dont agree with the fb hook up. fb's a pain and is too open.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2011, 08:43:00 pm »

There's no automatic Facebook integration, it's a simple button that lets members share any page on Facebook (i.e. link to it).

I'm not a big user of it myself, but lots of people love it and want to use it to share.

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 10:20:38 pm »
I agree. I feel rather sheltered here. I have a business page on facebook and yet I come here to ask for advice & share details about that business. I certainly wouldn't want that shared on facebook.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 12:09:48 am »
I too have misgivings.

I'll expand a little, mainly for Dan's benefit to understand where we're coming from.

My Facebook settings are secure verging on paranoid, so if I shared something from here it would be visible only to my very small number of FB friends, all of whom are my actual real life friends and whom I know personally. 

However a lot of people (a) accept any and all 'friend requests' and therefore have literally hundreds of FB friends and (b) don't set their security to limit the visibility of things they post and share to their 'friends only' anyway.

The upshot of which is, this charmed and charming environment we have here, where for the most part the only people that find us and read our posts are people who've typed something like 'curing bacon' or 'muck boots' or 'wannabe smallholder' into a search engine, will change. 

The type of person who sends everyone they come across on Facebook a 'friend request' will arrive here in droves. 

Well, that may not cause any problems at all and may well result in lots of perfectly acceptable new members we wouldn't have had otherwise.  Or, we may find we get 'stalkers' and start to feel that we are inundated with input from people who aren't quite what they seem - and some of us may natter on the site less, or leave.

I perhaps will become even more careful about posting anything that identifies what we might have here that could be worth stealing, and anything that indicates that we may be away for a day or two...

I guess there's only one way to find out... and if, as Dan says, there are people who have requested this functionality then I guess we have to give it a go.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 07:55:43 am »
i can see where you are comming from sally      but if you wont travel to buy a bargain on tas   then scottish thiefs are not going to travel to screw your property likewise the  english thiefs wont travel to scotland unless both sets of tollies are on a screwing holiday
i am not on face book or tweeting just cant be gassed with slavering the lugs of others     i can do that when i meet them in person :farmer:
it would more than lilkely be locals that would be watching your facebook and they know your movements better than you do :farmer:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2011, 11:31:51 am »
wondered if it will have a like button some posts i like and would love to hve as like button that i could click like on facebook

Every single page on the new site has a button to share on Facebook, including all forum posts.  :)

Would a Like button be useful as well? Not being a big Facebook user I don't really know the difference between Share and Like...  :o

I am not happy with this at all.  I don't use FB and don't want to be quoted or identified on it - dinosaur maybe.  Sally has put it very well.  
I have only just found this discussion hidden away in 'TAS testers wanted' - I think it's something which everyone should have the opportunity to discuss.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 11:34:39 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2011, 12:43:20 pm »
I perhaps will become even more careful about posting anything that identifies what we might have here that could be worth stealing, and anything that indicates that we may be away for a day or two...

A smart move. As I've said before, the thing is, it's so easy to piece together someones life/family/movements/house/land/what they own from their posts. Little by little these things add up, putting together a fairly accurate picture of someones life. Then they go and tell the world they are going to some show or other - in effect telling everyone when they are out.

I may often come across here as the big bad wolf with some of my 'heads up' comments, so don't take offence (again) folks - I'm just pointing out how things appear to the world. In a past life I used to Systems Analyse software so maybe I'm just more aware of all this.

I am not happy with this at all.  I don't use FB and don't want to be quoted or identified on it - dinosaur maybe.  Sally has put it very well.  
I have only just found this discussion hidden away in 'TAS testers wanted' - I think it's something which everyone should have the opportunity to discuss.

Good point.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:52:50 pm by OhLaLa »

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2011, 02:56:30 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to explain what it is that will appear on the new site, and why it's no different to the way the forum is set up now, then I'll respond to each point you've raised.

I understand that privacy is important, and that Facebook has a reputation for being more open than many of us would like it to be. That's one reason why I don't use it, and prefer to use forums like this.

The new TAS site has a button at the top of every page that when clicked allows a Facebook user to 'Share' that page. That means the page is shared with their Facebook friends, and a link to the page posted on Facebook.

There are also buttons for posting to Twitter, and for sharing by email, delicious, and other channels. I've attached a screen snippet of the buttons.

Any Facebook user can already do this, whether they are a member of TAS or not. This is important, we aren't opening the forum up to anything that isn't already possible and happening, just making it easier.

The additional step they may have to take at the moment is to copy the site address and then paste it into Facebook, although there are lots of Facebook plugins for browsers that make it simple as clicking a button.

Why have we put the button on? For three primary reasons:

1. It means we can easily see exactly where TAS is shared on Facebook and respond or contribute if necessary.
2. We want more people to come to TAS. If sharing on Facebook opens the forum to a wider audience we think that's a good thing. More on this below.
3. Many of the forum members are users of Facebook and want to share with their friends. We want to make it easy for them to do that.

There seems to be two main issues:

1. Privacy.
2. The possibility of TAS being inundated with new members who somehow change the nature of the forum.

As I've described above, there is no 'fb hook up' - your profile here will not be linked with any profile on Facebook, nor will anyone on Facebook be able to do anything they haven't already been able to do for years. Your opinion of Facebook is valid, but not everyone shares it.

I agree. I feel rather sheltered here. I have a business page on facebook and yet I come here to ask for advice & share details about that business. I certainly wouldn't want that shared on facebook.

This is a moderated forum, so unlike Facebook we do exercise quite a lot of control when things are posted that we don't think should be, or when members don't behave in the spirit of the forum. That will not change. But it is an open forum - anyone can come here and read what's posted without registering. We will add a members' only forum on the new site, but the subject boards will remain public and open.

My Facebook settings are secure verging on paranoid, so if I shared something from here it would be visible only to my very small number of FB friends, all of whom are my actual real life friends and whom I know personally. 

However a lot of people (a) accept any and all 'friend requests' and therefore have literally hundreds of FB friends and (b) don't set their security to limit the visibility of things they post and share to their 'friends only' anyway.

The upshot of which is, this charmed and charming environment we have here, where for the most part the only people that find us and read our posts are people who've typed something like 'curing bacon' or 'muck boots' or 'wannabe smallholder' into a search engine, will change. 

The type of person who sends everyone they come across on Facebook a 'friend request' will arrive here in droves.

Well, that may not cause any problems at all and may well result in lots of perfectly acceptable new members we wouldn't have had otherwise.

That's what we're hoping and expecting. People who are interested in the subject matter will arrive, have a look around, and hopefully register and contribute.

I don't subscribe to the idea that droves of people will come here and register just because it's here. If they do register and don't behave, they will be removed. I delete dozens of accounts on here every day - as I said above this is a moderated forum, and will remain so. We may need some more moderators, and have some volunteers already.

Or, we may find we get 'stalkers' and start to feel that we are inundated with input from people who aren't quite what they seem - and some of us may natter on the site less, or leave.

Sorry Sally, that's scaremongering. The forum is already open to every internet user in the world, and the idea that making it easier to share on Facebook somehow suddenly changes the nature of the members we have here is simply not true.

You should already exercise this self-censorship, regardless of whether it's a members-only forum or public. Adding a Facebook share button does not alter this.

I am not happy with this at all.  I don't use FB and don't want to be quoted or identified on it - dinosaur maybe.  Sally has put it very well.

Hopefully the description I've given of what exactly it is that we're adding will allay these fears. Nothing has changed about what people can see or share, or who can be identified by what they do here.

Describing it as "hidden away" seems to suggest that we're trying to keep something from you, and I hope that's not what you think. Everyone does have the opportunity to discuss it, here, where it's no more hidden away than any post on the forum.

To summarise:

There's clearly some strong feelings about Facebook, but as I've said above we're not doing anything to make the forum less secure.

The only effect that this button can have is to send more people to the forums. We think that's a good thing. We already get a lot of visitors here, and deal with those who aren't welcome accordingly.

Thanks,

Dan

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2011, 05:44:41 pm »
Oh dear, here I go again making myself popular.....

More 'hits' on a website = more advertising revenue. Linking to Facebook, Twitter etc = more hits.

Where's a big wooden stirring spoon smiley when you need one.....

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2011, 05:50:39 pm »
More 'hits' on a website = more advertising revenue. Linking to Facebook, Twitter etc = more hits.

Your problem is WHAT exactly?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2011, 05:54:11 pm »

Your problem is WHAT exactly?

No no rosemary - YOUR problem is what exactly? I say it as I see it.

Why do you take offence at so many of my posts?

PS: I'd better point out that my post only mentions something that some folks don't know. Why rosemary would make the 'what's your problem' comment is undeserved and uncalled for.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 06:08:12 pm by OhLaLa »

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2011, 06:14:32 pm »

I'm not sure what your point is either.

The website generates a small amount of money from advertising. That amount is likely to increase if we have more visitors.

As is the amount of time spent keeping the site spam-free, and running smoothly.

As is the cost of running a fairly beefy webserver - it's being upgraded next week, costing an extra £80 per month.

I've spent my spare time for the past two years developing the new site.

You're suggesting we do this for the money?!

Do you have an issue with advertising? Would you rather we moved to a subscription model where members paid an annual fee? Would you rather we didn't do it at all?

You've sung this song before:

Quote from: OhLaLa
I get the impression you hope to sell this website in due course?

I dunno - just my twopenneth.

But never responded when asked why you thought that.

If you've got something to say, say it. Otherwise you are just stirring.   ::)

Dan

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2011, 06:44:26 pm »
Do I have to be making a point? I'm just explaining to some folks how these things work, why is that a problem for you.

Why would you consider it 'stirring' to point something out?

Re my quote above - it's called a sense of humour Dan - didn't your wife rosemary once tell me to get one? I didn't get too upset at that although it was rude, as was her 'French pee in holes' post (that one was both rude and racist, but I digress).

You've sung this song before:
Quote from: OhLaLa
I get the impression you hope to sell this website in due course?

I dunno - just my twopenneth.

But never responded when asked why you thought that.

If you've got something to say, say it. Otherwise you are just stirring.   ::)

Dan

Actually you did respond. Are we not allowed to ask a simple question? This forum would have few posts if we didn't.

And I am 'saying it' isn't that why you are so offended? Although I can't see why.

To sum up, I'm knowledgeable, kind and very helpful on this forum. I take the time and effort to try and help folks who need my help. And for this I get Sh*t thrown at me. Thanks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS