Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland Sheep!  (Read 12774 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Shetland Sheep!
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 10:27:02 pm »
I don't know anything about the Shetland Isles (yet - trip planned one year soon...) but we visited farms in the Orkneys last back end.  We were shown the transport for cattle to get them (and big strong beasts they produce up there too) to Aberdeen on the ferry.  I think I remember it is a 7 hour trip and special accommodation is required so that the beasts can be regarded as 'resting' rather than 'in transit' - otherwise the shipment would fall foul of welfare rules on length of journey without a rest break.  So the purpose-built containers put the cattle in individual stalls with water and hay.  Transport to the mainland is subsidised by the government and would be prohibitively expensive otherwise.  I think they said something like £700 per trip but I may be remembering that wrong, and / or it maybe included an amount to contribute to paying for the shipping containers.

All of which basically meant that Orkney sheep are not generally transported to the mainland alive.  Whether breeding stock of, eg, North Ronaldsays, would be ferried over, and if so how much it would cost and how the transport welfare would be managed we didn't find out.  Maybe it is feasible to carry a few sheep in a livestock trailer on one of the Wick car ferries - which would be a shorter crossing and therefore not necessitate a rest break.

Shetland is very much much further out, that much I do know.   So I would be interested to know how transport of livestock to the mainland is managed.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

princesspiggy

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 11:04:00 pm »
we got our cows from burland croft and they sell shetland sheep too. if id chosen shetlands (wev got borerays) id definitely have asked them first as the cows arrived in perfect condition for a 12 hr sailing. dont quote me, but i think it was about £20 per cow for ferry transport so not prohibitively expensive. animal transporters brought them an hr up the road for £15 each. for sheep i presume it would be much cheaper. the internet makes organising things alot easier.
for someone who is sea-sick( >:() i wouldnt like the hassle of going there myself, not in winter anyway...

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 12:23:52 am »
From the Autumn sales cargo ships  of Shetland sheep go south! we cant eat them all  ;D I dont know how it works exactly but the Shetland Agricultural chappies pay buyers to come up. They usually have settled on a price between them and how many each one wants on the boat up here so it is a bit of a farce really but they do buy the sheep. One of my neighbours used to advertise in the rare breeds columns of smallholding magazines. It is easy really just come up and buy some, there are lots of them!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 09:00:48 am »
dis is true we are not short of sheep. though if your after coloured ones you may find it a lot harder as the wool price is very good at the moment over a £ a lb.

PDO_Lamb

• Joined May 2011
    • Briggs' Shetland Lamb
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 01:53:06 pm »
You mentioned being offered Shetland wethers @ £30 each. Thats a good price just now. I sold some 14 month old hoggets at the marts yesterday(16th May) for 205p/kg (still with lambs teeth) and 185p/kg(with new teeth erupted) all of them made over £60 each.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 02:33:21 pm »
Thats good, the last time we took lambs to the mart they were £15.00!!!!   We eat them all now :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS