Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland Sheep!  (Read 12760 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Shetland Sheep!
« on: May 13, 2011, 12:11:23 pm »
 :wave: :sheep:

Those useful contacts have been in touch again and I've been offered some Shetland sheep. I have a billion questions if someone wouldn't mind helping please?!

I know they are small but as meat is for us and friends this doesn't really matter. If we did want to introduce a larger tup, what sort of size and breed might I be looking for?

How old are they before the should be ready for my freezer?

I have been offered some year old wethers for £30 each ... is this a good price? She also has ewe hoggits and shearlings but I am yet to get a price for these.

The sheep are not registered ... I know there will be differing opinions on this but I am not concerned about it as they will be purely for meat.

Info I have seen states that they she dtheirt fleece - do they shed it enough that they don't require shearing?

What kind of sheltert will they require in the winter? Will a field shelter with a deep straw bed and plenty of hay suffice?

Any other bit of advice you can offer would be wonderful! :bouquet: :sheep: ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Shetland Sheep!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 01:00:35 pm »
Have a look at the recent thread from Glentarki - all the info re Shetland sheep is there.

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 01:35:13 pm »
Hi Anke

I've read through some of the archive and see some people sending off at 9 months and then ranging to 18 months so wondering what is best.

Also haven't been able to see much info re shelter requirements and the shedding of fleece ??? :)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 01:52:42 pm »
Shelter - a windbreak is fine (eg made with pallets in a noughts and crosses pattern. Make sure its well secured with baler twine and pref also peg it down to the ground with angle iron pegs if you are in exposed/windy location). The sheep will use any shelter or windbreak as a scratching post and can push it over otherwise

Fleece - from my experience to date with a 30 strong herd, while many lose a bit of fleece naturally, none of mine shed enough to not need shearing. Also if you leave it to shed naturally that might be too long from a flystrike point of view. So I would say you should plan to have to shear. But with only a couple/few you could do it by hand using £12 ish hand shears, if you dont want the expense of electric shears.

Breed of ram (tup). To be honest if you are wanting fab flavour and only breeding for you/family/friends I would go for a Shetland ram. It'll cost less, the lambs will be born lovely and small so very low birth problems likelihood (Ive had none in 3 years requiring any intervention!) and the meat is sensational and the joints are ideal for modern family size. My Shetland ram is a real sweety too, not aggressive in any way, gets bullied by the geese! If you do decide to cross, then breed would depend on whether you would need to sell any in the future. ie Cheviot is the traditional cross for Shetland as the ewes from that cross are bought by 'proper' farmers to cross with a commercial breed like Texel. The lambs from that last cross are meaty and the ChevxShet are good mothers but big enough for a commercial sized ram. Or, you could do as my vet does and use a Lleyn ram, this wont be as valuable per lamb but Lleyns are prolific in terms of numbers of lambs and good milky mothers. (just watch tho, multiple births are a risky approach for the unwary, one of the plus points of pure shetlands is very very rarely do you get more than twins, which helps reduce risks a lot for the mums).

Age to slaughter. If not castrated, then unless you can individually segregate then they would need to go quite young. If castrated or females, it's really personal taste but ideally and if you have the ££ for hayto feed them, they would go off at 12 months plus ie keep them over the winter, let them fatten on the spring grass and then send them or even keep them till 18 months or 2 years. That way you get a bit more bulk and size.

£30 seems fine as a price to me, Ive paid £25 but that was for younger ones so allowing for that, not much different. Pretty good deal when you consider the cost of commercial sheep - £100+! Mine arent registered either and we do the same thing, raising mainly for ourselves (tho have an overload of ewe lambs this year so may have to sell a few!)

Hope this helps!!

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 02:15:48 pm »
Thanks Marcus, that's really helpful!

I have clipper for my horses that have interchangeable blades to can be used for sheep/cattle/dogs etc ... I'm okay with the horses but can't imagine the sheep will be a pretty sight the fdirst few times!

We grow our own hay so feeding them over winter is not a problem ... do you feed them any concentrates or just enough to keep them friendly?

If I take on year olds when will I be looking to shear them?

We may end up getting them "done" at the slaughter house and butchering them at home as we do with all of our venison etc (or we probably will until my OH get's fed up of it!)

Thank you again!!

PDO_Lamb

• Joined May 2011
    • Briggs' Shetland Lamb
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 02:37:16 pm »
Don't worry about the size of Shetland Sheep. The meat quality is excellent.

A Shetland lamb matures in the same time as most UK breeds time but to a smaller size and I attribute much of the quality to this slower growth rate. Why dilute the quality by cross breeding? Ok it works out more expensive as the processing cost is usually per head. Once they get much bigger than 30kg they start to put on fat rather than meat. Hogget will have a stronger flavour and will be larger.

Of course the best Shetland Lamb meat comes from the Shetland Islands where the breed has evolved to thrive when it has access to browse the local flora. That is why Shetland Lamb has passed the rigorous UK and EU selection procedure to qualify for “Protected Designation of origin”. This requires meat from Shetland Flocks kept in the rest of the world to identify that the meat was not produced in Shetland or suggest that it is an equivalent product to that produced on the Isles. Not a problem for you, because you will be wanting to claim the meat has come from animals in your own flock.

Husbandry is the same as for any sheep. They like shelter from the worst of the elements and will need clipping. However, they require less feed for maintenance and can generally deliver their lambs un-aided.  Also, be aware that some pedigree breeders select for the fineness of fleece in preference to meatiness.

Here are a couple of links to videos on youtube: -  A Shetland Lamb is born http://bit.ly/iDRr2C Shetland Lambs at play http://bit.ly/kIvIrE

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 02:47:56 pm »
Thank you! I think not crossing sound best as they are only for us and close friends/family etc.

I'm very excited about sheep, I just hope we can afford to set up our little flock as soon as possible! :wave:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 05:26:41 pm »

I have clipper for my horses that have interchangeable blades to can be used for sheep/cattle/dogs etc ... I'm okay with the horses but can't imagine the sheep will be a pretty sight the fdirst few times!
Since it's more welfare than aesthetics thats no prob! Mind you, dont do what I do and think Ive finished, let sheep go only to find theres a small bit I missed and sheep followed by fleece on a string disappearing across the field....
Watch out with the horse clippers tho, I have them too but found they really struggled with doing sheep when I tried it in practice, they didnt have enough welly. But yours might be OK!

We grow our own hay so feeding them over winter is not a problem ... do you feed them any concentrates or just enough to keep them friendly?
I only feed concentrates (and then only little) when they are both in lamb and the snow is too deep for them to forage. We get a lot of snow for a long time and very harsh weather (edge of Cairngorms)! But they still are only looking at a small clenched fist worth each. The main thing is ad lib hay (they love the hay from our own fields as its all different grasses and weeds and lots of clover) and a lick bucket (for the pregnant ones we use a high energy bucket). I stop feeding them anything a week after they have their lambs as by then they are moved to the fields with lots of new grass and dont need it, they just have lick bucket through the May - Sept period, then hay Oct - snow starting then the little bit of food Jan - April

If you dont have our extreme climate I would be tempted to only feed them a tiny bit to bucket train them and then nothing other than a periodic reminder feed to keep them tame-ish, and other than that stick to grass, hay and vit/min lick bucket, even the pregnant ones. you dont want too big lambies growing!

If I take on year olds when will I be looking to shear them?
If they are a year old ie were born spring 2010 then you would be shearing them this summer and from then on.

We may end up getting them "done" at the slaughter house and butchering them at home as we do with all of our venison etc (or we probably will until my OH get's fed up of it!)
Sounds good, I havent been able to face that yet and get the butcher to do it, it all comes back in lovely packets!

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 06:02:46 pm »
I crossed my 2 shetland ewes with a southdown tup, the lambs are great like miniture southdowns........
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:05:59 pm by andywalt »
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 07:07:31 pm »
we only got 50 shetland and only had them 6-7 yrs but if you just want meat for yourselves go for shetland ram then your get pure shetland lamb just cannot call it that as its not from the shetland isles which is fair play in my eyes my dad had best in breed  and best in show at bath and west multiple years with a ram of his but he went walkies jumped an alpaca electric fence and has never been found . so make sure your well fenced in as if they get low on fodder then there gone. where you from? maybe someone near you has some shetland lamb meat for sale for a taster. i personally will not eat any other lamb now and can taste and i do leave other meat on the plate if im offered it. for the meat to mature properly its reccamended to leave for 18 mths as there a primitive breed and matures slowly and we have found this works  depending on if you want taste or if you just want meat . in my mind i think why have a shetland if you dont have the produce and eat before fully matured

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 07:39:33 pm »
agree with all that! if you're near me you are welcome to try some of our lamb too. Its amazing, it stays moist even with long cooking and yet not fatty at all (primitive breeds store most of the fat round the organs so you dont end up eating it, unlike commercial sheep where you end up paying for it!). darker colour, much more lamby flavour but not strong, just tastes of what it is supposed to rather than nothing like supermarket lamb. I dont like strong meat and I am quite happy to eat 2 year old Shetland.

Makes a heavenly tagine, that much is in noooo doubt!

The only prob with the PDO designation isnt the fact of it (which I have no prob with at all, can really see the value), its the complication in how to describe the product for mainland Shetland lamb given that the breed is called Shetland not just the PDO area! makes it quite hard to work out a short phrase which doesnt sound shifty! I think if PDOs are granted in that circumstance the PDO should only apply to that native breed not to some commercial texel that happens to live on Shetland (that might not be allowed Im not sure), and also they should have to come up with what everyone else is then supposed to call their shetland lamb!

PDO_Lamb

• Joined May 2011
    • Briggs' Shetland Lamb
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 08:41:30 pm »
Less is more to those of us that prefer Shetland Lamb.

If you don't already own a ram, the only reason to go for breeding crossbred lambs is not keeping your own ram which will save the cost and make the management easier. Especially if you are starting out. Try asking a neighbour to hire you a spare ram or if you only have a few girls send them off on holiday to get mated. There is good trade for well fleshed vibrant lambs at any market. Just don't expect a shetland Lamb to sell for as much as a Beltex cross Mule lamb.

If you own a new Mini (made by BMW), you would not expect to sell it for the price of a new 5 series BMW.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 08:03:08 am »
Hi, PDO . Welcome there are about five Shetlanders on here now that I know of. Your expert knowledge will be grtefully recieved.

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 10:03:41 pm »
Hi Loosey….. I'm a first time sheep keeper as from next month and have also chosen Shetlands..In a similar situation that we are only producing the resulting future lamb for our own use so smaller joints are not a issue.

The breeder we are getting our sheep from was very informative and experienced (unlike us)…. Much like the other posters have mentioned ,she raved about the quality of the meat…..Amongst loads of questions we asked , we wondered what age she sends hers to slaughter….Apparently she sends them for slaughter in the October and a few in February but finds  little difference in size or taste so has preference for the October, this is what we would like to do.

We paid £50 each for our registered ewe hoggits in a variety of colours and were delighted at that price……And fortunate for us as nearby they will go back to a choice of several Shetland tups later this year.

We were shown a small flock of a dozen or so Shetland ewes with their lambs from a Cheviot tup….. I must say they were sturdy little things and a fair  increase in size compared to the  pure Shetland lambs of the same age,, they were destined for the market come October not for personal use. The ewes were all experienced mums, not first timer's.. While we intend to breed pure its nice to know in the future with gained experience we can juggle a tup or two around giving us choice.

Anyhow that's all I can contribute. Good luck with your adventure its exciting ::)

Dave

princesspiggy

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 10:09:22 pm »
just a thought. does anyone consider buying their shetland sheep from breeders in shetland. it would help them im sure, and ud have the real macoy. im sure most breeders would deliver them to the mainland for you.
 ::) ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS