Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Showing poultry  (Read 5402 times)

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
Showing poultry
« on: May 12, 2011, 08:15:37 pm »
Hi, My children and I have 12 Rhode rock hens and one speckled sussex which we hatched out and reared last year. We are thinking of taking the sussex to stirling show as we usually support the show with cattle but dont have anything to show this year. I was wondering if anyone has any poultry showing advice as we've never done it before. My main concern is that since she has started to lay she has a bald rear end which is not looking the best!
Any advice would be great,
 thanks,
 Oneeyedhen.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Showing poultry
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 09:04:35 pm »
I went to Stirling last year and was appalled at the condition the birds were kept in.  Wire cages, in two or three levels, nothing on the floor, no water.  I thought the birds were ther just to be sold?  Is that not the case, or maybe I am thinking of the wrong event?  If you do decide to go ahead make sure you are happy with the accommodiation for your hens before you put them in.

Oh and welcoem to the forum, would love to hear all about you and your children, and your hens  ;D  I assume from your user name that one of your hens only has one eye  ;) ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:07:17 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 09:19:50 pm »
stirling show is held at blackgrange       we had the pigs next to the poultry and we know the guy that was running the poultry section
i know there was some concern with the poultry sale at the market :pig: :chook: :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 10:08:54 pm »
Yup, that was it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 01:40:06 pm »
We have gone to Stirling show for many years and did see the poultry section last year and I'm sure it was fine.
We originally bought 8 rhode rocks one of which has a blind eye but she lays well and is a favourite with the kids as she is pretty friendly too. We also have one with black eyes and two with crooked feet in our flock of now 13! I'm also looking into getting some Scots Greys. They say these things grow and grow!!

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 09:19:40 pm »
When showing you are not normally allowed food or water in the pens until after judging, and restrict access to food from about 10pm the night before meaning that the birds are not going to have a massive crop affecting their shape, and are less likely to poo in the cage getting it and themselves dirty.

I have about 6 birds entered in next weeks Fife Show, i do nothing really special when showing them, i clean their legs getting rid of any muck, and cover them lightly in Vaseline, i also trim toenails and tidy up tail feathers ever so slightly. I would not worry to much about the bald rear, i put one in with a (scabby back only noticed once she was in the cage) and she didn't come last. its the taking part and enjoyment that matters, so long as she is not ailing from it.

I allways start my birds on a Lice/mite paracite before and after showing to make sure i do not take anything to, or back from the show.
make sure you take your own bedding for the cages(just enough to cover the bottom) as you never know what stewards provide, but make sure you clear it up afterwards and dispose of, and don't make to much mess with it.

If the tent get to hot you can tell the steward manning the tent and they may be able to remove a side, and don't be afraid to tell someone if you spot a problem such as an ill bird etc. a few years ago at the Ryedale show a bird in the cage dropped dead next to mine, and no body moved it, not even its owners. so after a serious complaint the birds was removed and it's owners ridiculed as the had not provided it with adequate water.

hopefully this help but feel free to pm with any other questions.

Good luck and most of all HAVE FUN.

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 09:47:36 am »
Thanks CameronS, that is a great help and gives me confidence to do it. Our hen with the bald back side is fine in herself and the kids would love to take her I was just worried how it would look. The restricting food thing is help and is just the same as we would do with the cattle. I dont suppose you can tell me if a speckled sussex is a light or heavy large breed, I dont know which class to enter her in. I'm guessing she is a light breed, large fowl?
Good luck at Fife and maybe we'll see you at Stirling?
Thanks again.
OEH

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 01:18:22 pm »
 i think most Sussex are classed as a Heavy breed, i have a Speckled one and a Buff one in the fife show, but they have their own class in the large fowl section so i could not tell you for sure.

I may be at Stirling, but i won't have anything entered in it.

good luck with your entries

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 06:33:17 pm »
we showed some pullets last year at turrif for the first time. just go for it an have fun. u might come back more critical of your stock but thats a good thing really. as far i could see the stock isnt handled but prodded with a rod if needed. cages were fine, same as for the rabbits the next day.
try it, alot less hassle than cattle!!

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 11:29:25 am »
Thanks  :D

Neil Watson

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 07:45:09 pm »
I am the Poultry Convener for Stirling Show and would like to assure dogandjo that at Stirling, as with all shows, the welfare of the birds is paramount.  I have been showing poultry for over 30 years and can honestly say that I have never been to a show where I have had any concerns about the welfare of the birds.  Certainly we recommend that exhibitors don't feed or water their stock until after judging, but there is always plenty of bedding in the cages and everything available for the comfort of the birds after judging.  Showing poultry is a great hobby to get into and there are some wonderful characters in the fancy, all of whom are willing to help you get started and offer any advice you may need.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 11:07:55 pm »
I am the Poultry Convener for Stirling Show and would like to assure dogandjo that at Stirling, as with all shows, the welfare of the birds is paramount.  I have been showing poultry for over 30 years and can honestly say that I have never been to a show where I have had any concerns about the welfare of the birds.  Certainly we recommend that exhibitors don't feed or water their stock until after judging, but there is always plenty of bedding in the cages and everything available for the comfort of the birds after judging.  Showing poultry is a great hobby to get into and there are some wonderful characters in the fancy, all of whom are willing to help you get started and offer any advice you may need.
Thanks for that, Neil.  I think it was the poultry auction I was at not the  Show.  And I don't retract my critcisms of the way the birds were kept there.  There were also a number of lots which were obviously in dreadful condition.  A number of us were upset by this, not just me.  I'm sorry if anyone thought it was the poultry show.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS