Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: baking with duck eggs?  (Read 4401 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
baking with duck eggs?
« on: May 10, 2011, 09:41:22 pm »
As the ducks are much more reliable layers than my hens at the moment (and I don't sell as many) I have discovered just how delicious they are in baking.        :P
However ... my cakes just aren't sticking together!
whether sponge, choc, fruit, cup cake etc, they just keep falling apart when they come out the tin - even though the cake feels normal.

I am using a stupid little electric cooker from out the caravan, where everything takes at least twice as it should, until the Insurance sort out replacing my proper cooker that was flooded out before Christmas (Only had the holes in the ceiling replaced this week!!)    ::)

But are there any tips for baking with quacky-eggs?  Do I need more flour, as they are creamier?  I tried this, but no real difference.
Or is it just me?!
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: baking with duck eggs?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 09:43:52 pm »
I don't know - I was always told to use them the same as the same weight of hens egg and the cakes would rise better ???
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 09:53:16 pm »
Not sure why that is happening to your cakes, I have just batch baked a load made with duck eggs and they are fine.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 10:14:19 pm »
maybe I need to weigh them, as they seem so much bigger in shell though not much different when cracked.
  Perhaps I just need to shout at the insurance again...  :)
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 11:32:17 pm »
My duck eggs look bigger than my hens eggs - quite a lot in fact. And they're quite a bit heavier too.  So I suspect that's the answer.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 12:44:54 am »
Muscovy duck eggs are nearly all yolk, very little white (at least, mine were) - I guess that ratio would make a difference?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 06:03:48 am »
I use two duck eggs where I would use three
Chicken eggs which works for me. Duck Eggs also
Make excellent Yorkshire puddings!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 08:44:17 am »
I never had problems...I usually do reduce the amount fat a bit when I use duck eggs, especially if it's sunflower oil or melted butter as the cake mix can get too runny and duck eggs are richer. :&>

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 07:49:03 pm »
I'll try that NFD, could do with less fat anyway!
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS