Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming  (Read 9945 times)

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Worming
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 12:16:23 pm »
Thanks for the info Mandy so up by the bite end!
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 12:34:42 pm »
Easier if held between a gate and a wall, or restrained using a pig-holder.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 07:34:51 pm »
Vet came to give wormer. Nellie the little bossy pig just ate her banana no reaction. Ollie another story not impressed at all lots of noise and tried to get away!  injected at second attempt. Then when the vet offered her some fruit lots of verbal and tried to bite him!

At least i know where to inject now but will probably try hind leg and a smaller needle when it's my turn to do them!

Fowgill farm injection was i/m behind ear, which I guess would be very sensitive, as they are not going for meat I will try hind leg.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 09:12:55 pm »
Easier if held between a gate and a wall, or restrained using a pig-holder.

Thanks

Much easier if it's a Kune that loves it's tummy tickles ;) ;D

Seriously though SfS - re the tests - what is the best way to test the burden - from one pig in the herd or a collection of them all?
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 09:15:15 am »
Hi,

That is a good question.

Testing each animal individually would obviously give the best results - but would be more expensive.

Testing a well mixed-up sample of droppings from the herd would tend to average the result, but would still give an indication of if worms were present and what type. eg. Pig one has an epg of 1000 and pig 2 has an epg of 100 then the result would probably show an epg of 550.

Testing an individual animal at random from the herd could aldo be done - but this may give a false low count or a false high count depending which pig you chose.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 11:02:49 pm »
Hi

Found the info re worming really helpful thanks.

Can anyone advise where is best to order from and how much I should expect to pay.. I am new to pig keeping and just got my first pigs over the last week ... it is brilliant. I have four weaners between 10 and 11 weeks old. I bought them in pairs and both breeders said they had been wormed but I think my little gilt has worms as her tummy seems bigger than the others - they are all eating well.

They are in a new grassy field so not on a site previously used by other pigs. Would it be helpful to just worm them now to be on the safe side is there any way of telling if worms are present other than the bigger tummy?

Thanks
Amanda

HappyHippy

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 07:58:52 am »
Hi Amanda,
If you get a worm count kit, shown here https://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/worm-count-kit-p-2242.html and get a poo sample from the one with the bigger tummy it will confirm if she does have worms or is just a greedy little piggy  ;) ;D They only cost £10 and it saves you worming if they don't need it. I buy most of my meds from vetmedsdirect.co.uk and find them good for price & service - but it's injectable wormers I use mostly. Supplies for Smallholders (and lots of other places) do an oral wormer to save the hassle of injecting - but as I said, best to do the count first  ;)
Hope that helps,
Karen x

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 09:49:15 am »
I have just had mine injected by the vet. We had seen roundworms they are like gardenworms but white to look at. Ours were wormed with Vermx b4 when we got them but this is not a true wormer.

I did get some Panacure puppy wormer granules  from the vet when we first got them which is a lot easier just given in a jam sandwich! but you do need to have the animals weight.

There is a way of working out the weight by
measuring in inches from between the ears to base of tail times this by the measurement around the chest underarm up around shoulder then divide by 12
This should give you a rough idea of weight.

But as HH says you could do a worm count to ascertain if it is necessary to worm them
HTH

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 10:50:19 am »
At least i know where to inject now but will probably try hind leg and a smaller needle when it's my turn to do them!

Slapshot is billiant at making jabbing easy

http://www.farmandcountrysupplies.co.uk/slapshot-vaccinator-needle-not-included.ir?cName=farm-smallholding-medical-healthcare-medicines-needles-drenchers-pour-on-applicators

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 08:10:44 am »
Still need a suit of armour to inject Hilary  :-[

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 09:23:38 am »
Bless her wouldn't expect any less of her :D

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 10:17:16 pm »
I agree with oaklandspigs that the Slapshot is brilliant. I just can't understand why more smallholding suppliers don't sell it. As far as I know, it's just the one he linked to. Definitely worth the £20 or so.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 09:11:57 am »
Anybody tried doing their own faecal counts? (sorry if you're reading this with your breakfast!)

I found a link http://www.fiascofarm.com/goats/fecals.htm and was thinking of giving it a try.  The reason I like the sound of it is I could do many test and actually work out if natural holistic remedies  ::) like garlic and black walnuts actually work.  I've never had the guts (no pun intended) to give up chemicals completely but if I could monitor worm counts regularly and for free I might have a little experiment.

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 11:11:51 am »
Hi,

I dont think you would have a problem doing a count manually, but the problems may lay in :

1) correctly identifying the type of eggs (species of worm) - there are lots for pigs!

2) Having equipment accurate enough to provide accurate results - ie. to give an epg (Eggs Per Gramme) reading you dont count all the eggs in 1 g of material, you count in a tiny fraction and then extrapolate to get the answer.

Getting the results wrong could lead you not to worm if required or worm if not required, and the difference in numbers is small. eg for threadworm a low count is <100epg where a high count is >300epg.

Thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS