Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dandelion beer  (Read 10123 times)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Re: dandelion beer
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 09:39:41 am »
I'm just about to make a batch - what yeast did you use Hester? We've got dried bread yeast, I was going to try with that but wonder now...  ???

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 09:45:55 am »
I used dried bread yeast but it was my fault, not the yeast. I activated the yeast separately because I was worried about whether it'd be OK and I just did it too early. So I was waiting, waiting, waiting for the dandelion stuff to cool and meantime the yeast was frothing over in its jug. I got impatient and added it too soon to the dandelion stuff while it was still too hot so that killed that yeast. So then I added some more yeast when it got cooler but couldn't filter out all the yeast when I transferred it to bottles. Whatever the cause it was flat and tasted awful! So if you are going to use the bread yeast, activate it at the last minute (or just add it direct!).

H

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 02:41:51 pm »
Brilliant, thanks.  :thumbsup:

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 04:04:06 pm »
I used wine yeast as I had plenty spare. Tastes good - in fact my wife has been drinking some which is a rare compliment for something I've brewed! Will do again - thanks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS