Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dandelion beer  (Read 10121 times)

ATF

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Fife
dandelion beer
« on: May 08, 2011, 06:58:04 pm »
still working on the perfect nettle beer - last lot was OK, I'm added a wee bit of goose grass to this next batch...I'll see how it goes....

in the meantime I've found a delicious Dandelion Beer - from field to glass only takes 9 days or so, and it's best enjoyed young. A lively wee bugger.

1/2 lb dandelion plants (roots, shoots, leaves and flowers)
1 oz yeast (I used bread yeast - it worked fine)
1 lemon
1 Gallon water
1 ox cream of tartar
1/2 oz ginger root
1 lb demerara sugar

Clean the plants, scrub the leave and put then in a pan with ginger and lemon rind. Biol for 10 mins.
Strain liquid into fermentation vessel. Add sugar and cream of tartar.
When water is lukewarm add yeast and lemon juice, cover with a towel and leave for 3 - 4 days until it's stopped bubbling, stirring occasionally. Strain and bottle (in strong glass on plastic bottles - it's a lively beer!)
Ready to drink after 5 days - best drunk young. .

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: dandelion beer
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 10:35:37 am »
Wow this looks fab will give it a try! I tried a piece of B&D cake at work and it was amazing but can not find the recipie for that anywhere!
Red

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 01:47:01 pm »
We're definitely going to give this a go too, thanks for sharing it, won't be long before dandelion season.  :thumbsup:

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 01:49:41 pm »
Well I like the sound of that too but I STILL  have a load of nettles in the freezer + all the stuff for making nettle beer, I just need to get started as I love collecting things from the forest so dandelions it is then!!

Mel

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 08:26:40 am »
Already started ours  ;D

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 09:41:51 am »
Sounds lovely, lashings of ginger beer then  ;)  ...I may be too old to drink it though [quotebest drunk young][/quote]   ;D

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 06:54:15 pm »
As soon as we get a fine day I'll get some on the go. One of my favourite flavourings for beer is Bog Myrtle, has anyone tried that?

Pikeman

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 04:08:01 pm »
What is ox cream of tarter?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 04:39:47 pm »
Think it's meant to be oz! As in ounce

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 01:09:19 pm »
Anyone given this a go?

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 03:25:25 pm »
I have all the stuff but still not started brewing, in limbo re houses etc at the moment but we had a lovely young man stay last week, he was an obsessive home brewer and was learning the big brewery skills to become a master brewer...wish I had have been around to chat with him as he was really keen!!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 10:26:52 pm »
Now is the time - dandelions every where I look. I've just set it off - at the moment it is very reminiscent of ginger beer - can't detect the dandelion at all - but time will tell....oh, and I got impatient over the yeast and think I killed off the first lot so have added more, hope it'll be OK.

H

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 10:11:10 am »
I just put on four gallons of this last night along with a couple of gallons of a nettle beer. I got a bit carried away with the dandelion digging up as we have them all over the place at the moment. Will report back at the weekend with tasting notes...

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 12:06:35 am »
How warm does it need to be? Our kitchen is sitll only at 17-18° and it's not fermenting quickly. I've stood it out in the sun but it's not really that warm oustide at the moment either. Will it just take longer if it's cooler than the recipe requires?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 11:32:04 pm »
Not a success here. Yeast was a problem.Will retry when I've got time,

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS