Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: growing wheat  (Read 3005 times)

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
growing wheat
« on: May 07, 2011, 11:04:52 pm »
Has anyone on here had a go at growing wheat on a very small scale? of so did it work and any top tips?!  :farmer:
Red

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: growing wheat
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 11:12:27 pm »
Only accidentally in the polytunnel where the hen grain, from having chicks in there, grew.  It worked beautifully and we fed it back to the hens ;D
I don't see why it wouldn't work outdoors if you choose the right strain and the wildlife doesn't eat it. How would you harvest?  Would you thresh it with a flail?  I will be very interested to hear how you get on.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 05:29:23 am »
YOu could just cut it for hay.   I does grow well in small holdings I use it in the piggery when their is a spare pen.  but instead of harvesting it in some form I just let the old girls in to eat it off at their leisure.  It is around 6 weeks of feed to some 30 old girls.    I have 2 paddocks set out for this right now, but this time I will put a variety of  seed on to encourage the use of fertilizer that has been added since the pigs have been on.

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 08:35:22 pm »
Thanks for the advice and info, i've got a bit of spare growing space this year so I just thought I'd have a go at something I've never tried before ... in the back of my mind I was planning to use the wheat for bread as I make my own and maybe bedding ... will give it a go and see what comes!  :farmer:
Red

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 10:08:56 pm »
Keep us posted red.

This is something I wanted to do last year but never quite made the transition.

It's important to use a strain that has a good track record in your specific location (Wales is - by and large - too wet for wheat I think)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 10:46:20 pm »
Real Seed catalogue have a section on threshing and winnowing on a small scale see www.realseeds.co.uk/winnowing.html
Also if you want wheat for bread making you need to grow the right variety as not all wheat will make suitable strong bread flour.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 05:18:22 pm »
Yes - Canadian wheat is the best and only for strong bread flour really.

I use Allinsons strong flour for bread making which is a mix of whatever they can get I think.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS