Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ADVICE PLEASE!!! I've ordered the semen...  (Read 3431 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
ADVICE PLEASE!!! I've ordered the semen...
« on: May 05, 2011, 04:41:55 pm »
Oh my word, I have just ordered semen from Deerpark for Meg.  She's a novice and me too...

Sadly they don't yet have an OSB boar working so I've ordered Saddleback - hopefully there'll be some interesting colours and patterns in the outcome!  Assuming there is an outcome more than my red face and small dent in my wallet, that is ...

We decided to try AI in the end because we didn't manage to track down any nearby boars (partly due not having much time to try, it being lambing time) and whilst we had some very nice offers to take Meg to some lovely boys in interesting places, if AI works it avoids any problems with movements and standstills etc.  Meg will certainly stand for me - the only problem there is that she'll pretty much stand any time!  (She loves fuss, any kind of fuss.)  

According to the calendar she should be receptive Sunday / Monday.  She's just becoming all hormonal (got to be with you, love you and need you, don't leave me don't leave me - the only time I do feel bad that she is, for the moment, an only pig!) now and on last cycle's experience she will be a couple of days getting to max readiness. Deerpark are sending the semen to arrive Saturday morning.  I think I am fairly confident about doing the insemination (I did it 25 years ago and was told I was a natural... how's that for a compliment?!) but am a lot less confident about getting the optimum moment.  

So any and all advice sought and will be very gratefully received!  (Yes I have read - many times - the article on the French website http://pigsinfrance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=75 .)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:41:52 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
Re: ADVICE PLEASE!!! I've ordered the semen...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 12:56:03 am »
If you're doing it outside, make sure you have all your bits and pieces in a suitable container which is close to hand. Better still, commandeer someone to help.
First time I did it, I was rushing back and forth to the fence where I had hung my carrying tray for lube, scissors, etc. After that, I bought a big handyman's apron at one of those tool stands in an agri show. Lots of pockets in which to put the semen, catheters and everything else I think I might need.
Some of the American websites have specially-made weighed "saddles" to put on the sow to simulate the weight of the boar. I'm trying to cobble together a similar thing myself. Last time I tried feed sacks, part-filled and tied with baler twine, but it wasn't perfect. Would have been great to have someone to sit astride her or maintain pressure on her back, but I always end up doing stuff alone.
Also, get yourself some Boar Mate (aerosol spray) if you can. Simulates the smell of the boar and helps get them in the mood. Spray some on a cloth and hold it to her nose. Mind you, it's a difficult smell to wash off your hands!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 09:28:47 am »
Great stuff, thanks a lot Liz.  BH knows he's going to help - doesn't know (I only just found out myself, reading your post!) that he's going to sit astride...

I'll see if our local agricultural merchant has Boar Mate.  I do remember getting squirted with pig semen at university and I think the smell did linger somewhat...  Having said which, I always smell pretty agricultural anyway (see post about ewes licking me 'cos I smell like a newborn lamb...) so not sure the boar taint will be particularly noticeable these days...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 10:39:09 am »
Best of luck with the AI - we did it back last year - good advice from Liz about having help. I sat on my pig while hubby did the deed. She was very accommodating and  took the three bottles over said period of time. Sitting astride really did help. (I felt slightly foolish though) She went on to have a litter of 17 piglets. She is in pig again by AI and we only managed one session with her due to the icy conditions in the paddock. We both potentially could of slipped or have been knocked over by her as she is so "frisky" when on heat. Anyway have fun  :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 05:06:08 pm »
Thanks for that, nelson.  Crikey I hope I am less successful than you - 4 or 5 piglets would suit me for her and my first time!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 05:08:10 pm »
I think I am still a bit unsure about getting the right moment, since Meg will stand while I press on her back pretty much any time.  She'll stand right now, but the vulva is only beginning to swell and redden so far, and is not yet at all wet.

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 06:44:25 pm »
They'll supply you with 3 tubes of semen (I think I'm right in saying that  ???) the theory being you do the insemination over 36 hours, a dose every 12 hours. That way even if you are a wee bit out with the timing she'll still get in-pig.
Even with a first litter, prepare yourself for 10 piglets Sally  :o Just in case  ;)
Let us know how you get on.
Karen x

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 08:39:32 am »
Even with a first litter, prepare yourself for 10 piglets Sally  :o Just in case  ;)

Gulp!  :o

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS