Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What age for slaughter?  (Read 9265 times)

robert waddell

Re: What age for slaughter?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 08:40:43 pm »
a bit of lop i think :wave:

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 08:48:41 pm »
Is that a recent piccy?  We sent ours off at 62 Kg and 86 Kg (Male and female) at about 6 1/2 months.  They look like they've got a bit of growing to do - by the way your hubby is scratching them I'll be wondering if they go at all  :)

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 10:32:07 pm »
Yes it was taken this last week.  He was chanting 'happy pigs are tasty pigs' ;D

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 04:59:43 am »
Our pigs are now 5 months old.  Is there an ideal time to take to slaughter, or is it just whenever you feel like it?

thanks
I would have done them younger.     5 months is getting a big old and  if you want to do it yourself then a bit heavy at that. 

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 10:21:39 am »
Agree with Lillian looks like a bit of Lop in them which is maybe what your friend has as a Leicester White (no such breed??) crossed with a GOS. If they're 23 weeks they're well behind I would up their feed a little by a 1lb each day, they should be growing an inch to inch & half per week now.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 04:41:01 pm »

I would have done them younger.     5 months is getting a big old and  if you want to do it yourself then a bit heavy at that. 

A bit old at 5 months??????? Blimey I'm obviously missing a trick here  :o  Our 4 GOS boars went at 7 months last year - kill weight ranged from 65 - 82kg, I wouldn't have wanted to send them any younger and they were perfect in the meat to fat ratio.

Our GOS x OSB gilts are 5 months old now - biggest is 40 inch girth, but I'm going to keep them for another 2 months

Tish

robert waddell

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2011, 05:36:28 pm »
this is one of the problems with pigs  and the large variety of breeds feeding  and there environment
where does it say that at 6months the pig has to go to slaughter equally you don't have to keep it to 120kgs
they all grow at different speeds and at different times of the year   summer they will put more weight on than winter
blonde lives in oz where it is hot and the pigs develop faster all factors  have to be considered
the younger the pig the less saleable meat the older (up to 120kgs) the more meat and produced at less per kilo
from approx 60 kilos-120kilos the last 60 are put on the carcase quicker and cheaper
it all comes down to your preference :wave: :pig: :wave:

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 09:20:39 am »
Thanks all  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS