Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What age for slaughter?  (Read 9264 times)

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
What age for slaughter?
« on: May 05, 2011, 03:53:21 pm »
Our pigs are now 5 months old.  Is there an ideal time to take to slaughter, or is it just whenever you feel like it?

thanks

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Re: What age for slaughter?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 04:04:43 pm »
What breed are they? Are they male or female? Our boys go off at 6 months to limit the chance of boar taint. Some large breeds are ready to go sooner. We kept some females back last year and have just sent them off at 12 months ... bacon from them is wonderful!  ;D

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 04:06:35 pm »
More to do with weight than age - also if you want pork joints etc or just sausages  :yum:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 08:18:46 pm »
Thank you, they are both boys, and are, according to the breeder Gloucester Old Spot x Leicester White but there isn't a spot to be found on them (perhaps this is normal).

We don't know what cuts to do yet to tell the truth, it's our first time.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 08:30:06 pm »
Aw sweet.

I can't comment on the breed - only have wee Kune Kunes - but they look very content & healthy.  I believe anything between 65-80kg is the usual for the one-way trip ;)

Probably better to talk to a few butchers about the cuts a while beforehand - your abbatoir may have a butcher linked to them or recommend one. Also, try a few of the piggie folks on here in your area - they may be able to recommend too.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 08:35:59 pm »
Thanks B, hubby is a softee at heart :love:

Without sounding stupid ??? how do you weigh pigs?

We're taking them to an abatoir in Denbighshire, as being on Anglesey, there's not a great deal of choice and Denbigshire do the whole job.

How do I find out who on here is in my area, as locations aren't shown are they? Or am I beingthick again ;D

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 09:00:29 pm »
Ah, yes the weights - sorry.  There is a thread on here where HappyHippy gave a link to a site with this - you will need a tape measure & get length by girth (try doing a search on here) will try & find it for you.

You can find where TAS members are by clicking on their name, but not everyone puts theirs on here - you could try a post & see who replies - there's got to be a few out there, even if they are hiding  ;) ;D

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 09:05:06 pm »
Actually found the instructions typed -up on here by a couple of helpful folks - search "weighing pigs" or "measurement" & they should come up.
HTH

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 09:05:39 pm »
I'm going a bit off the subject here and I don't yet have my smallholding so no pigs, but I have been told that when you take your animals to a slaughter house you don't always get your own carcases back. I am horrified at the thought that I might put in a lot of hard work ensureing i know what my animals eat and then get someone elses in return. Is that really the case?
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 09:08:27 pm »
Thanks B, I will search now.  Wasn't sure if it was a tape around their bellies as we do for horses ;D

Bionic, that can't be right surely :o

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 09:17:22 pm »
bionic this has happened  to others   it looks like they are still intact     depends on the size of hubby i would say 60-70 kilos :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 08:32:08 am »
Bionic it happened to a couple of different friends of ours.  If you slap mark your pigs on both shoulders and both hams and check the carcasses when you collect you will have no problems. 

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 10:12:06 am »
We measure behind the front legs around the chest. When the tape reads 40" they're ready to go. This is at approx 24 weeks. Our pigs are GOS.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 12:36:04 pm »
We measure behind the front legs around the chest. When the tape reads 40" they're ready to go. This is at approx 24 weeks. Our pigs are GOS.
HTH

Thanks Mandy  :)

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 08:23:09 pm »
HTH

Measured them today, they are 32 inches around their girth, and are about 23 weeks now, so a bit small yes?

Looking at my photo above, do they resemble GOS x LW ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS