Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eaten growers pellets!!  (Read 12713 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Eaten growers pellets!!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 09:43:10 am »
There are now NO coccidiostats in poultry food... not even chick crumbs.   EU ruling, surprise surprise!!!!!!

There are in the ones I buy.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 07:02:42 pm »
I read (and posted on) the earlier thread and am sorry it was removed as I was away and couldn't see what happened.. ::)

Once you've past the colic risk period, the thing to watch for is laminitis which is what the other horse developed.  The toxicity in the system can trigger acute laminitis and rotation of the pedal bones can occur relatively quickly if it is a severe case.  Amount eaten is not always an indicator of the risk factors but a few days monitoring of the digital pulse is worthwhile and if in doubt, avoid exercise until you're sure of the all clear.

Delighted the initial period is safely past and I don't want to spoil the relief but I'm one for caution and overchecking to the verge of paranoia if need be ;)  Best of luck :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 07:43:17 pm »
thank everyone, and yes, i am checking him regularly and he is also on restricted rations for a few days - much to his disgust I might add.

however, sad news on my other, much loved boy, as it looks likely that I'll have to have him PTS sooner rather than later as he is really struggling with this hard ground (severe articular ringbone).  Had a vet conversation today and I think that he is struggling a wee bit and I know he'll get much worse over time and definately not get better.  So maybe kinder to him to just have the deed done now while he is relatively happy.  So why is it that I can't stop crying today......  I've know this day is going to come for months and months

infield

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 09:55:14 pm »
hi

just to clarify that chick crumb & rearer food is still widely available with acs in it, however the d&h brand is only available without :)

Fi

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 08:44:11 am »
Oh sorry to hear about you're other boy. Making a decision like that is not easy, but you seem to be sure it's the right thing to do for him. Get used to the crying. I cried now and again for years after having my dog PTS. Don't think we'd be human if we didn't.
Take care
Fi

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 09:55:27 am »
So sorry it sounds like the end is coming for your other lad, please god this one recovers easily and you only have the one thing to deal with :(  Let me know if you want company or anything else..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 11:34:43 am »
My apologies if I have mislead anybody re coccidiostats in poultry food, but I questioned this 'officially' when I realised my brand did not have it.  I was told that a prescription was needed  to buy any form of medicated poultry food including chick crumbs & this was reason for exclusion as nobody was buying the extra expensive feed.

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2018, 06:04:19 pm »
Hi all, I know this is an old thread but I found it as I was googling chicken food being poisonous to horses.  I lost my beloved girl last night after she ate layers pellets and corn.  The other girl who also ate from the bucket (which was only half full - if that) is being monitored for laminitis and has been tubed twice, had anti inflammatories and abs.  I had no idea chicken food was so toxic so please don't be complacent.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2018, 06:59:47 pm »
So sorry to hear of your loss.   :bouquet:

Hoping your other girl pulls through  :fc:

Thank you for sharing, it’s an important message.  :-*
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS