Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eaten growers pellets!!  (Read 12717 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Eaten growers pellets!!
« on: May 02, 2011, 10:08:53 pm »
8 yo cob gelding, very friendly boy, loves people and loves food.....now seems he loves chicken feed too :'(

anyway went down to sort everyone out this morning to find, said boy had come through electric fence AND chicken fencing and broken into growers pellets feed bucket and eaten about half a feed buckets worth.

Put him in starvation paddock with wee pony for company and kept close eye all day.  Lying down lots and not really interested in much.

Took feed in for pony about 9pm and a handful for him so he'd leave pony alone.  Not interested in food at all and hardly moved from spot he was rooted to.

No signs of colic, weeing normally, had very runny dung at some point judging by tail and legs but certainly not as much dung in field as I'd expect to see in a full day.

Wandered over to gate and walking like a drunk man, very unsteady.  Tied up a couple of haynets, he took a teeny mouthful but not really interested.

Noticed he was trembling all over, though not cold.

Checked for pulses and heat, nothing.

Phoned vet, said he was most probably toxic but was doing all that they'd recommend at this stage.

Have checked ingredients list for growers pellets and doesnt seem to contain coccidiostats - but not sure if it would be on the ingredients list - anyone know?  (D&H)

and most importantly, anyone anything else to suggest other than what I'm already doing?

thanks everyone :-\

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Eaten growers pellets!!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 10:10:54 pm »
There was a thread on exactly this a few days ago - I'll try to find it
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 11:18:17 pm »
Yes - I think they have to put on if it contains coccidiostat, and the majority of growers don't,  but sometimes it is printed with the other ingredients on a little white paper lable which drops off when you open the bag

Sorry about your poor boy and hope he is better soon, had a little 8 hh shetland who managed to get into the feed store once.  He stood around for a day or two looking very dejected, but got over it ok

Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 11:26:17 pm »
aw thanks Sue, that really does help.  Hopefully he'll be a bit cheerier tomorrow....

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 11:34:05 pm »
I've tried hard to find the thread about the pony that ate layers pellets - no luck, sorry.  Perhaps Rosemary can remember where it is.  I think the vet was called, and the pony was walked round about a bit.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 09:41:02 am »
we had a yearling Shetland tup who did the same and had very similar symtoms for about 48 hours then thankfully was ok although he did have the runs for 5 days.
Hope all is ok with your pony.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 03:16:00 pm »
Keep a very careful eye on him,   ALL chicken food is toxic to horses... most recover but some may have eaten too much.
I am surprised your didn't suggest liquid parafin to stop the pellets packing into a solid mass... which they will and this is what causes gut impaction often resulting in surgery.

Goats cannot tolerate chicken food either.

There are now NO coccidiostats in poultry food... not even chick crumbs.   EU ruling, surprise surprise!!!!!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 04:08:14 pm »
I've tried hard to find the thread about the pony that ate layers pellets - no luck, sorry. 

Didn't it get rather heated and the chap who started it deleted it?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 07:16:53 pm »

i think your right sally.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 07:46:47 pm »
he is certainly a bit more like himself today and was eating some hay earlier on.  not back to normal by any standards but seems to be on the way..thanks goodness, this was horrible to deal wtih.

will keep you all posted

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 08:07:55 pm »

i think your right sally.
That's a pity because there was some valuable information posted.

Fi

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 09:24:26 pm »
Please let us know how your boy gets on. I was quite shocked to read this. I had no idea chicken feed could be poisonous to horses. We have two ponies and no chickens just now but was thinking about it soon and our 5year old mare will do anything to get to something edible.
Hope he is fully recovered very soon
Fi :) :horse:

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 09:46:00 pm »
well I'm very pleased to tell you all that the boy is definately on the mend.  Not himself yet, but heading that way.  Thank goodness!

Going to cost me £400 for fencer to come on Monday and put up new fencing to keep him where he's supposed to be - not safe totrust electric tape me thinks :(

still, £400 is cheaper than a dead horse.... :-\

Sandy

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 09:53:21 pm »
Phew!!!!!! good news!!

Fi

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 08:46:36 am »
Glad to hear this and There really is no alternative to some good fencing.
Hope all goes well ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS