Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buying Sheep shears- advice needed  (Read 21850 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Buying Sheep shears- advice needed
« on: May 02, 2011, 09:28:06 pm »
Hi all- I am going to take the plunge and shear my own flock of 5 (fleece is starting to rise as we speak). Anyone got any advice on whether the following would be any good? I don't want to spend a fortune if I don't have to but do want to get my own set rather than borrow.

http://www.dropshiponline.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2759 They seem very cheap (and nasty? I don't believe the rrp?).

Or more expensive http://www.hornershearing.com/acatalog/horner-duo.html Any comments would be very great.

Thanks

salopian

• Joined May 2010
  • south shrops
Re: Buying Sheep shears- advice needed
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:52:09 pm »
i'm off to buy some lister shears tomorrow, 240 v and run them off my generator they'll cost me about £250 but are a good machine, my Grandad always says if you pay cheap you pay twice.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:54:15 pm »
I am no expert but all the farmers and shearers around these parts seem to have listers
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:55:05 pm »
An alternative is to use hand shears - my OH shears a min of 50 sheep each year with hand shears, which cost less that £20
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 11:58:06 am »
I have just had to hand shear one of mine, not a beautiful result but it does the job. The only down side is I now have huge blisters I'm thinking of getting some of the strapping they use on tennis rackets and wrapping the handles.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 02:41:23 pm »
That would help, but you do need to choose a pair of shears which fit your hand and are not too strong.  I can't use my OHs favourites and he finds mine too weak  ::) Try not to hold them too close to the blades as you get poorer leverage there.  There are various different styles and makes to choose from but as always choose the best you can afford.  It is also a good idea to have a holster to put the shears in safely while you are wrestling with the sheep between moves.  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 04:12:13 pm »
Hi,

If you want to take a look at some shearing machines, blades and hand clippers, take a look at the Shearing Catalog which you can download here : https://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/shearing-brochure-p-112.html

Then if you should want a price (for comparison with other makes etc) the let me know.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 05:31:59 pm »
I have hand shears but am too scared to use them as I might cut the sheep. The shears are really sharp and the sheep struggle...... recipe for disaster.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 06:09:00 pm »
Really for only five sheep it would make more sense to get some handshears (buy double bowed ones - easier to press), I actually use dagging shears on mine, as they fit my hand better.

I handclipped my flock of 20odd by hand last year, did about three a day, do the belly with sheep on their bum, as you would do feet, then put halter on and tie into corned of two hurdles, and off you go. As long as the fleece is rising, it should be easy to do. You may not get the fleece off in one piece, but I wouldn't think you are trying to pay off the mortgage with the earnings from the WMB....

It is also so much more peaceful, the electric ones make an awful noise, and are actually more dangerous for both you and the sheep. Have some purple spray ready. Oh, and if they pee on any cuts on your hand, it stings really bad!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 06:57:11 pm »
For 5 sheep and i presume a novice then hand shears are safer and easier, the electric ones you show work okay but you have to set up the comb and cutter with correct lead and tension, you should also round the comb tips slightly to stop them digging in , if you dont keep the skin taught its easy to make a big cut proffesionals do it all the time.  Look at JAKOTI SHEARS easier on the hand than traditional not spung the same, very good . I also use 10" bows slightly round and blunt the very tips to stop digging in.

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 07:20:33 pm »
Also have a little bottle of super-glue to hand!

www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 10:12:08 pm »
Super-glue?????

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 10:45:14 pm »
Is the superglue for operator or sheep???!! I have Lister horse clippers with a shear head which worked a treat Sunday to do 4 but I have somehow upset the blades and now they won't cut through the fleece. I had to handshear the last one.

Can someone recommend a hand shear to suit a small hand?  I just used my dagging shears but they seem quite big and awkward.  Got 4 more to do this weekend...

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 11:29:05 am »
Hi,

The superglue is to glue back together any cuts to the skin / flesh of the sheep, a small dab of glue then pull the other side of the cut over hold a few seconds then release. Then spray with an anto-bac spray.

Make sure you dont get it on your fingers, or you may be spending a lot of time with the sheep !!! ;D ;D ;D

This prevents sheep with open cuts being turned out and helps healing.

That is what superglue was originally invented for.

Thanks

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 11:59:06 am »
The Horner machine will be your best bet. The Horners are very helpful, I bought my machine from them and have never had any trouble with it.

The motor in handpiece is ideal for a small flock and you are less likely to need Superglue! I have been shearing for many years and have never needed any.

If you do go for the machine then I would advise that when you start try to keep the comb as flat as possible to the skin as you are less likely to cut the sheep or yourself that way.

Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Philip :sheep:

PS, Scotsgirl, sorry I never got chance to get down but the van is still playing up. It sounds like your combs and cutters need grinding, Horner shearing do this, as do I.

PPS, Hand shears are NOT safer, if not used correctly they can give the sheep a very bad cut.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:15:15 pm by SingingShearer »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS