Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Removing nettles!!  (Read 25561 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Removing nettles!!
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 08:18:51 pm »
if your going to spray at all stop cutting the spray is absorbed through the leaves!!!

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 09:57:53 pm »
Thanks will do
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 10:14:36 pm »
Ditto what bloomer says..... and if you go for Grazon 90 preferably spray nettels before they are  in full flower.... Hopefully this time next year your be glad you did :)

Dave

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 10:35:46 pm »
Just seen a recipe in home brewing for nettle wine!! might have to pick some ( before spraying weed killer) ;)

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 10:41:36 pm »
Tee Hee now even I could be tempted to give that ago ;D ;D

Dave

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 10:15:29 am »
I haven't space this year to spray and rest paddocks in turn so was out yesterday with a short scythe swinging the nettles away from the first paddock fences ::)  I leave them lying and once dry the ponies will eat them but I have a lot of fencelines and worse there are signs of ragwort coming up which could mean a backbreaking summer all round cos by the time I've scythed nettles it'll be straight on to pulling/digging ragwort ::) 

If I could just get enough grass growing to not be feeding hay at the same time I'd know it was summer backbreaking work rather than winter backbreaking work but both at once is a bit much :(
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 08:28:57 am »
Yes - but contaminate the soil

Whilst I appreciate that salt is a naturally occuring chemical, too much will raise the soil salinity which will degrade the soil and it's ability to support vegetation.

(Sorry - this looks a bit odd as it was in response to somebody suggesting pouring salt on the areas where the nettles had been cut - but it seems to have been removed now)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:09:10 pm by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 02:12:39 pm »
Spent Sunday spraying with Grazon can see that it is working! Still have some areas to do but very windy here at the mo

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 12:59:42 pm »
That Grazon 90 is the dogs thats for sure .
I cleared 1 1/2 acres of mainly chest high nettles  in shrubs and a hundred plus or so of saplings /trees  after using my self propelled strimmer on it and letting the beasts come back up to 6 inches tall .

Only ever do the Grazon in the growing season on new growth not autumn or winter when the plant is closing down or almost dormant .

It took two applications a month apart to really hammer them and  then an occasional clean up of the odd one or two bits that I'd missed previously .

I seem to remember that  stock could graze fairly soon after each spraying .
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:01:18 pm by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 01:06:15 pm »
I haven't space this year to spray and rest paddocks in turn so was out yesterday with a short scythe swinging the nettles away from the first paddock fences ::)  I leave them lying and once dry the ponies will eat them but I have a lot of fencelines and worse there are signs of ragwort coming up which could mean a backbreaking summer all round cos by the time I've scythed nettles it'll be straight on to pulling/digging ragwort ::) 

If I could just get enough grass growing to not be feeding hay at the same time I'd know it was summer backbreaking work rather than winter backbreaking work but both at once is a bit much :(

There is an advert for a weed extractor on TV a Fiskar or something like that name ..
They work and save your back as does Round up in a weed syringe but because of the toxicity of the ragwort your better off with the remover and a barrow to cart them out the fields/ paddocks .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 08:57:31 am »
The nettles have turned black and are dry after using Grazon, my question is do i leave them to rot down or is it best to pull them up or strim them?

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 10:05:41 am »
  ::)[quotei read once that African ladies rubbed nettels on there breasts cant remember the reason]
::)worth a try  ;)
[/quote]
Why would anyone want to do that!!! :o Ipick nettles let them wilt and feed to my pony overnight mixed with hay he loves them.

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 10:17:23 am »
Hi Eastling glad to hear you had good results :)......If your happy enough to leave them to rot down that will be fine....strim them if you wish. Just occasionally you will get very small signs of regrowth on very large rooted nettles but only occasionally, just give the individuals that do another small spray as the leaves appear.

Dave

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2011, 10:23:48 am »
Bad enough getting stung on the hands can't imagine what it would be like else where!!

We don't have ponies and they were nearly chest height and taking over usable land. I have used some for making fertilizer, the pigs can only eat so many, so next option weed killer which has worked a treat. Will have to spot spray some that were missed but happy to do that.

Want to use some of the area for ducks and chickens so hence the question on cutting/pulling up

Glentarki just seen your reply yes very pleased with results hopefully will make life easier and manageable no ;D

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2011, 07:04:53 pm »
Just spent a very satisfying half hour scytheing all our big nettle clumps in the paddocks

Oooooh - cut 'em off at the knees  :D :D

Then off into a potato sack with some sheep sh1t to make liquid fertilizer.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS