Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Removing nettles!!  (Read 25554 times)

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
Removing nettles!!
« on: May 01, 2011, 10:34:47 pm »
Hi does anyone have any tips for removing nettles, when we moved here last year i strimmed it. It has now started to grow again and in some places its getting to knee high. I have been digging up the roots but it is a back aching job!
Have considered weed killer but not sure what to use.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
Re: Removing nettles!!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 11:57:26 pm »
Nettles strimmed will just come back, and the root system just rejuvenates……If you wont to save time and your back!… and are prepared to use a weed killer then I can recommend either Gallup 25ml per litre of water using a nap sack sprayer or similar. This will kill your nettles off plus anything else green and growing in the area so tread careful when using.

Then there is Grazon 90 a selective broad leaved weed killer that wont kill off your grass just the broad leaved weeds  60mls per 10 litre of water using a nap sack sprayer will also do the job…..Just watch out for your plants or shrubs as spray drifting will have a impact.

Both products can be purchased from  farm supplies and do the job the say they do very well. I’ve used both products for years and happy with the results

It’s a very personal choice using any form of chemicals on the land as it does have a impact on wildlife, I always have ample areas set aside just for this…. But if my land was very limited I would prioritize and use weed control as my choice

Hope this helps
Dave

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 10:35:43 am »
I've sort of changed my attitude to nettles which has helped alot and they don't bother me so much now. They are nitrogen fixing (I think) and great on the compost heap.

This website is interesting: http://www.nettles.org.uk//nettles/people/garden.asp

I have started to ferment nettles with sheep poo for liquid fertilizer and pick them for the worms and compost heap periodically.

I tend to leave any nettles that aren't specifically bugging me for the butterflies etc. Due to the fact that they (the nettles) aren't generally eaten by herbivores, they act as a safe refuge for many insects, ladybirds, aphids etc which in turn provide food for birds etc.

If I need to pull them up then I don't find them hard to pull up - the roots tend to be fairly superficial and often come up in a satisfying array.

I quite like the sensation of the sting which is meant to have anti-rheumatic properties - so often I will pull the nettles up bare-handed  :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 02:25:50 pm »
"I quite like the sensation of the sting" - OW!!!!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 02:45:59 pm »
 ;D  ;)  8)

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 03:22:12 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I to have been stung many times!! but don't find it a particular pleasure.
 Our problem is we have 5 acres and the last owner did nothing, so we have nettles in the garden as well as the land. I don't mind them in the field, but would like to control then in and around the garden. I also have the pigs very close to the house so am a little concerned that the weed killer would seep through to their area. I guess I'll have to do that bit by hand. I am also making nettle fertiliser but am sure we have enough to continue this!! ;D

Thanks again for the info.

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 04:27:50 pm »
I have been collecting nettles ready for some home brew, when I manage to get it all together,
I quite like the sensation of the sting" - OW!!!!
I know what you mean about the sting, I had tingly fingers for the day after picking with the wrong gloves on!!!
Nettles are full or protien so why not use them as a crop!!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 08:15:58 pm »
I used to think the sting was okay and then cleared a largeish patch wearing a T-shirt, shorts and no gloves.  (Me, not the patch.)  I couldn't sleep for the tingly legs, all the next day they tingled to a very distracting extent, and I was then hyper-allergic to nettles for years and years.

I'm back to normal with them now, but you can be sure I wear protective clothing to do more than pull up a few bits that are between me and a tap.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 08:22:28 pm »
i read once that African ladies rubbed nettels on there breasts cant remember the reason :o :o :wave:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 08:49:51 pm »
Glyphosate (Round-up)!

You can dig up a few, but that many...... The other thing is Pastor, but it's much nastier stuff  :-\

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 08:52:41 pm »
  ::)[quotei read once that African ladies rubbed nettels on there breasts cant remember the reason][/quote] ::)worth a try  ;)

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 10:55:41 pm »
Sandy let us know how you get on with that!

SallyintNorth I always wear gloves and long sleeves or would end up with shares in piriton tabs!

Have decided to use weed killer  will have a read up on those recommended and wait for a less windy day before applying!

Thanks again for the info the nettle link is very interesting

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 09:23:15 am »
I have been strimming mine for a couple of years and collecting them up and either drying them to put in horse food or making them into fertilizer. I have noticed that they are getting less and less

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 12:11:33 pm »
when im clearing them for work, first option is always chemical, second is dig out as much as possible, lastly they can be controlled by continuos cutting (weekly) eventually this will starve the roots!!!

for all of you who enjoy being stung all I can say is rather you than me!!!

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 06:21:06 pm »
I spent most of yesterday pm digging them up around the pig area, i throw lots over the fence to them as they seem to have given up on clearing their area! Some of the roots were as thick as two thumbs! giving my back a rest today, just cut the grass instead! Just made another back of nettle fertiliser. but only makes a small dent. Will continue with strimming/digging up roots until get a chance to get weed killer this weekend. I assume it would work better on newly cut nettles or better to leave then as they are and spray as a whole?

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS