Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe in labour but not straining.  (Read 3829 times)

Smashy and gang

• Joined Apr 2011
Ewe in labour but not straining.
« on: May 02, 2011, 10:01:39 pm »
One of our ewes went through a text-book first stage of labour yesterday - pawed the ground, turned round and round, stood up, sat down, sniffed the ground, licked her lips etc. After a couple of hours of this a water back popped out (she may have strained a bit for this I don't know, I was up making a cup of tea!) but then .... nothing.  The water bag burst and she sat down, very contentedly and didn't move.  No straining, no raising of her head, nothing.  After 30-40 minutes I investigated and found a rump-first presentation which I was able to correct to rear feet first and deliver without problem (other than more blood than the others).  A second lamb was head back but feet first and I managed to rope the legs and use my hand to keep the head forward and again all was well. 

I'm just interested as to why she didn't strain.  Is this related to bottom-first presentation? Or something else?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Ewe in labour but not straining.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 10:13:03 pm »
There does seem to be a correlation between non-straining and dead lambs / abnormal presentation.  We had quite a few lambs that simply didn't play their part this year, didn't turn around, engage, and the ewes waddled about with wet bottoms and either no straining or only the occasional squat thrust.  A few hadn't even opened up and we had to 'work' the cervix to get her opened up.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 08:47:20 am »
That would be my (limited) experience too. We lost one lamb which was presenting badly. Lesson learned for me - if she looks she's in labour and not straining, get in and sort it.  :(

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 09:36:44 am »
I am not a "birthing" expert, but I am sure I read/heard somewhere that it is the unborn foetus that releases the chemicals which cause the mother to go into labour, so perhaps if there is something wrong at their end the mother doesn't get the correct signal

Will be interested to know if this is the case

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 10:11:24 am »
Abscence of straining is quite common with breech presentations. You also see it with head down.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Smashy and gang

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 04:38:16 pm »
Thanks for the replies - another time if I had a ewe not straining I would revise how to deliver abnormal presentations before 'going in' - this time I was up to my elbow and had a friend shouting instructions from a book which was effective and comical but not a cast iron guarantee of success!

Love the 'squat-thrust' expression - I know exactly what you mean!  Our experience this time did make me think that, had I not witnessed the initial birthing signs I wouldn't necessarily have known she was in labour.

Thanks everyobe.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS