Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: drake not working  (Read 6117 times)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Re: drake not working
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 11:12:32 am »
I can't for the life of me think of a system for having a duck pond which isn't always revolting. Ours have a very small pool which I flush out every morning. I drive my husband mad because I always forget to turn off the hose and the garage floods. Need a better solution! A little stream is something I dream of! One of our fields flooded over the winter and the ducks were in paradise. They wouldn't come home to bed, though, and the birds ate the eggs which they laid down there. Luckily the ducks weren't eaten. I want to build them a pond, but don't know how I'd keep it clean.

This morning when I collected the eggs I was surprised to see that the girls had hidden them - very well! The eggs were under lots of straw. Does this mean they might be broody?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: drake not working
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 11:25:41 am »
My girls hide their eggs every morning under the straw/shredded paper bedding.  Ducks do tend to hide their eggs - or lay them out in the open for all to see!

If you can find a pond liner with a drain you can construct a poll fro your ducks that can stay relatively clean.  Bed the liner in lots of gravel and sand, make a trace with a plastic pipe sloping down from the drain plug to a soakaway, then backfill all around it.  Then you can pull the plug and flush the pond whenever you want.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS