Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: drake not working  (Read 6116 times)

princesspiggy

drake not working
« on: May 01, 2011, 10:29:23 am »
my indian runner trio are 12 mths. girls are laying 2 eggs a day. i havent seen the drake working at all. have incubated the eggs anyway, hoping i missed his advances but none are fertilised. im wondering whether to get a new drake or is he just too young yet?
interestingly, he had a curl in his tail last year but none now.
 :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: drake not working
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 11:24:32 am »
HA ha - could be a transvestite!  Listen to his/her voice?  Better with 3 or 4 girls for one drake anyway, minimum, KCs need more - 8 to 10.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 03:37:53 pm »
My Aylesbury is just confused, ??? hes keen but he spends most of his time the wrong way round :-\ Then hes a bit to keen on chatting up the hens through the fence  :( His mother is my German Shepard and has learnt from her, so if were in the garden eating he will tug on your clothes, and if the dog runs to the fence and barks the duck now also runs and quacks  ::)

I'm afraid its a downside of living with us, nothing normal here  ;D I love em ta bits  ;)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 04:21:38 pm »
I've just put eggs in my incubator too. My Indian Runner drake is running with one IR female and two female Khaki Campbells. He used to get very romantic with the KC's, but have never seen him with the IR female. I've put a mixture in the incubator so will be interested to see what happens, although I suspect it will be very little indeed!

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 05:47:32 pm »
we must have wasted 30 good eggs in the incy, shame. if hes not too young, maybe il get him some oysters ...lol.. :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 07:20:40 pm »
we must have wasted 30 good eggs in the incy, shame. if hes not too young, maybe il get him some oysters ...lol.. :wave:
Did you want 30 more ducks?  Cos if he is a he and had been working you conceivably might have got a 100% hatch - not likely admittedly but you'd have had a fair few! ;D  Listen to him/her talking and see if he/she can tell you what he/she is ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 08:03:41 pm »
pp where did you get him/her :wave:

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 10:05:27 am »
im wanting to build up an egg laying flock really, then sell surplus ducklings. they are really nice type and healthy birds, from a local private breeder but through thainstone, lastyear. was really pleased with them cos were the best ones available on the day...hes just not randy!! mayb i can get a new drake.
do adult IR have a curl in their tail? he did last year for a bit but not now. maybe its a large duck and not a drake at all... ???

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 10:14:30 am »
pp that explains a lot         some breeders manipulate the feathers to give the appearance of males it is wellknown this goes on at lanark
sorry but it appears you have been done that is why i asked where you bought them :wave:

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 10:21:30 am »
When I first got my IR pair the drake had no curl in his tail. They were quite stressed for a long time, it wasn't until we got the two Khaki Campbell girls and let them all free range that his curl appeared - as did his libido. His curl isn't there just now, I have no explanation for that. Is it a seasonal thing, like chickens going off the lay?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 10:35:09 am »
He should do his job at this age - as this is the only job the boys do not too much to ask  ;) I found Indian runners also quite aggressive and randy males. Do you have a picture of them you can share?
Did you hear his voice? Best way to tell, quite dinstinctly different from the girls' :&>

princesspiggy

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 01:40:14 pm »
 we bought them in sept, his curl came in early winter then gone again now. his body (mainly lower rump) is different to the 2 girls, they have fan shaped tails, and he is taller and although he is chocolate, im sure he has a very slight greenish tinge over his head. 3 ducks is no problem as i cud get a new drake. better than finding out they are all drakes lol  ;D
but new ducklings would be nice.....
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 02:07:42 pm by princesspiggy »

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 07:15:06 pm »
i've found my male only mounts the girls when he has access to a decent mody of water where the ducks can "float" happily
he about gave me a heartattack when i first caught him "in the act", i thouht he was trying to drown her  :o

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 08:29:05 pm »
mine do it anywhere but a paddling pool might help. I have heard of drowned ducks but that might just be a story....
Looking at his colours on the pics - he may just be younger than you think, give him time.  ;D :&>

princesspiggy

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 10:41:25 am »
we'l just wait then. theres no chocolate drakes at thainstone anyway so no temptation to get a new one.  :(   theyve got 2 paddling pools, we used to have a good pond but was always so filthy so we drained it and they are fine with their pools.
thanx  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS