Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Texel x Romney Tup viable to go to a Ram sale at Market?  (Read 2279 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Texel x Romney Tup viable to go to a Ram sale at Market?
« on: April 30, 2011, 10:00:07 am »
Hi All

I wondered if I could please have your views, out of my last batch of texal x romney lambs born we have two boys, one I was goinf to keep as he looked like a real cracker, but my last one born yesturday at 11.05 am was a boy too which of course we named him william !!! I was wondering rather than ringing him, do you think there is a need at a Tup auction for a good Texal x Romney Tup for breeding? and if he was good do you think he would fetch a price above £100?  I am thinking shall I sell him for breeding or meat? but I am not sure if anyone wants a X breed for breeding they tend to want a good pure breed tup?

The photo attached is taken at one day old!

I would be interested in your view please

many thanks

andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Texel x Romney Tup viable to go to a Ram sale at Market?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 12:31:36 pm »
I can't speak for 'down South' but up here mostly folks want purebred tups yes (you cross the ewes but not the tups, if you do both there is too much variation in the outcomes), but particular crossbreeds are sought after, eg, Dutch Texel cross Texel, Beltex cross Texel, Beltex cross Charollais.  And it is known though not openly discussed that certain breeds get an occasional undocumented sprinkle of something else (many Hexhamshire Blackies contain a bit of Swale, many Swales a bit of Blackie, most good crossing Blue-faced Leicesters - ie, those used to sire North Country Mules not those used to breed pure Blue-faced Leicesters - have a bit of Teesdale or similar.)

In terms of selling tups for > £100, the most important thing is your name.  If you have a name for breeding good tups, buyers will have the confidence to try one a bit different.  If you are unknown you may not get £100 for a really good purebred registered tup, because it's not just about looks it's also about breeding and how it's been reared.  If there is a show-and-sale at which you can get a ribbon for him then you may get into the better prices, but it's still not guaranteed.  Similarly if you keep him on and work him as a tup lamb (you could loan him out if you don't have spare unrelated ewes yourself) and can get some ribbons for his offspring then sell him as a shearling tup with that history.

Mind, I am talking commercial farmers as buyers not smallholders.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Re: Texel x Romney Tup viable to go to a Ram sale at Market?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 01:18:01 pm »
Thats very Helpful, I may keep them both entire and see maybe if I can sell them to some small holders maybe ?  its all a learning curve, at the end of the day they can always go to the freezer but i was just trying to avoid it
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS