Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Teeth  (Read 2795 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Teeth
« on: April 21, 2011, 02:13:46 pm »
Well the vet arrived yesterday to do Pitstops teeth. He has been turning his nose up at his hay but eating soft food no bother. As he is on restricted grazing he gets hay all summer. Its 2 years since he had his teeth done so decided better get them looked at. Now Pitstop is an 8 year old grey Shetland and a perfect joy to have. My vet had just come from doing a big horse who had to be sedated as he was quite a handful and it was the only way he could get his teeth done. he wanted to sedate Pitstop and I said no need he will be fine. He gave me one of those looks that said but its a Shetland. Pitstop was a gent, just stood and let him get on with the job. I could tell the vet was impressed when he said the wee lad seems to like this. As it was he only had a couple of rough edges but better to be safe than sorry. For being a good boy I gave him a piece of apple and he was chewing his hay last night which was nice to see.  :horse: :)

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Teeth
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 03:53:32 pm »
Well Done Pitstop!

It infuriates me that vets seem to think that horses should be sedated, my vets all insisted that Odinn would have to be sedated, now, he lives out 24/7 with no access to stabling so, if he was sedated I would have had to stand with him til it wore off without him eating in case it had effected his gag and he wouldnt be able to eat.

As it happens I stumbled across a totally fantastic Equine Dentist up here in NE Scotland, Odinn stood fluttering his eyelashes for the whole treatment and was left with a brilliant row of pearly whites!  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 05:08:55 pm »
We have an equine dentist and he's great. Doesn't even tie them up  ;D

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 09:45:29 pm »
My friends and I had a job lot done one year, 10 horses and ponies in all, ranging from my shetland to my 15 hand cobs.  The poor dentist ended up with a bloody nose - from my shetland rearing ::)  All the big ones were good as gold, but Ben decided he wanted to rear and caught her nose with his own nose.  Just as well the dentists has a sense of humour and hasn't knocked him off her books  ;D

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 06:30:03 pm »
totally fantastic Equine Dentist up here in NE Scotland,
who is that then?  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS