Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Very poorly ram lamb  (Read 4126 times)

madmulligan

• Joined Jan 2011
Very poorly ram lamb
« on: April 26, 2011, 06:05:26 pm »
Hi,
   Just looking for a bit of hope I think!  We have a very poorly ram lamb, 3 weeks old, bottle fed since birth.  Had to take him to the vets yesterday as one of his back legs were swollen, he was refusing to eat, and generally looked like he might be in pain and distress.  The vet seems to think it is something similar to black leg, picked up from something he has eaten.  He is on daily injections of anti-inflamatries and antibiotics.  After his return from the vets he seemed to be paralysed in both back legs and the other one had swollen up too.  Slowly he has got the use of his back legs back, but is still quite unsteady, just like a newborn.  He is only taking small amounts of milk at the minute and will drink water, but is not eating anything.
   I just wondered if anyone else had experiences anything similar, and if so did the lamb pull through and is there anything in addition to the injections I can do for him to improve his chances of making it ???
Many thanks.

madmulligan

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Very poorly ram lamb
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 06:15:44 pm »
After reading an earlier post I'd also like to say that this is one of our own lambs, not a bought in orphan.  I had no idea that sort of trade was going on.  We have only had sheep for about 3 years and this is only our second lambing season  :-\

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 06:47:41 pm »
I,m also quite new to sheep and have not come across this. I hope someone with more experience can help you.

madmulligan

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 06:26:22 am »
Thanks NLL,
   Unfortunately we lost him in the night, so no hope needed now  :(

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 07:49:13 am »
That sounded horribly like joint ill.  It can strike even 2/3 weeks after birth.

Navels should be sprayed immediately after birth.  I also these days with my goats kids, give give .25mm of antibiotic at the same time.  Sometimes these organisms are in the soil and only strike occasionally.

So sad when you lose something like this.

madmulligan

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 07:02:37 pm »
Thanks for your reply Wytsend.  We dip all our lambs navels in iodine as soon as they are born, but had never considered an injection aswell.  Maybe that is something to consider for the future.
   It is all very sad and such a waste, but we have 8 healthy lambs with their Mums, so will have to try to look on the brighter side.
Thanks again  :sheep:

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 09:03:41 pm »
Bless you madmulligan      this is our 4th lambing season    and it doesn't matter how many lessons you learn there is always another to catch you out!
We too have orphan lambs     never had em before........quite simply because the ewe did not want to mother despite our very best efforts.....soon as let out fooling us they had bonded    she made a bid for freedom and that was that..........you will never learn all the lessons    just be willing to keep learning     wishing you all the best   :sheep: :sheep:

madmulligan

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 10:01:54 pm »
Thanks Padge.  Hope your orphans are all doing ok?  It certainly has been a steep learning curve this year, and I am sure you are right that there will be many more.  I just hope that the next one isn't quite so drastic  :-\
   Good luck with your little ones xx  :sheep:

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 10:11:35 pm »
Thinking of you at this time madmulligan, sorry to hear the news.

Baz

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 06:18:13 pm »
appear to be coming along nicely      fingers crossed      have taken less milk today with being out on grass ;) thank you :wave:

madmulligan

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 06:25:32 pm »
Thanks Baz.
Great news Padge  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS