Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Unwell ram  (Read 4897 times)

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
Unwell ram
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:55:35 pm »
One of our ram lambs is a bit under the weather and we're not too sure what he could have.  He was born about 2 weeks ago and apart from a bit of fast breathing when he was born he has been fine since.   For the record, he does not have grey skin compared to the rest of the Ryelands and had blue eyes. If he were a horse he'd be cremello, I think.
Yesterday he did not come in with the rest of the lambs and stayed lying down and looked a bit hunched and bloated.
Today he was trying to drink and feeding okay.  His breathing is quite sharp and fast compared to the others.
He generally looks different to the others and unwell.  Someone said that these symptoms could be bloat - could it be genetic because of his colour?

Any help would be appreciated; we've not had a lamb die on us yet and would hate to have it happen if it was something we could cure.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Unwell ram
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 05:04:06 pm »
give him a bit of ginger in water solution and if it is bloat it should help. If it doesn't help then no harm done and you can cross that off your list. I have one that gets himself in such a lather when he is greedy and over does it on the grass when we let them down to cut the lawns he is a bit big so I roll him gently from side to side and rub his belly and that normally helps.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 06:00:41 pm »
'sharp and fast' breathing could be pneumonia - give him an appropriate antibiotic immediately.  Or it could be caused by pain.  Either way I would suggest you consult your vet - best to take the lamb down to them today or you could lose him overnight.  I'm sure others will have other views but we can only guess, whereas your vet can see the animal and treat appropriately.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 06:05:13 pm »
Inclined to agree with fleecewife - pneumonia would be my first thought.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 06:14:09 pm »
Blue eyes is not uncommon in sheep and lack of grey ski n pigment is also not generally associated with any problems the advise you have been given sounds good to me.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 06:26:27 pm »
PNEUMONIA for me as well or could be heat stress

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 07:50:42 am »
Guaranteed pneumonia, possibly coupled with pain caused by joint ill.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 11:35:56 am »
Hi Shnoowie - how did it go with your little ram lamb?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 07:30:01 am »
Hi all,

Yesterday he had improved greatly and was nearly back to normal - haven't been down to see him yet today but am feeling positive!
In the end, we had a farm friend come out and look at him who said it looked a lot like bloat.  So we gave him a syringe of flat Lucozade with ginger and peppermint (mother's home remedies) and he has lots his pot belly and is a lot more active and happier.

Thank you for all of your help - going to put pneumonia in my notes so that I can learn more about it as it seems to be a common problem!

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 05:00:06 pm »
Hi all,

Sad news, I'm afraid.  The little lamb went downhill around lunch time, we tried the usual glucose and lamb kick start things to keep him going.  By the time we had set up a box for him he had already gone :( We thought that the 2nd dose of anti-biotics would have helped him improve.
Thank you for all of your suggestions and help - sometimes there is just no helping them.

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 03:44:33 pm »
Sorry to hear your sad news...it is a sad end. Although, you did your best to save him from achieving the ultimate ambition.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS