Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I think they're having a laugh .....!  (Read 9617 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
I think they're having a laugh .....!
« on: April 26, 2011, 02:12:55 pm »
I just answered an advert from somone wanting a home for an orphan lamb - born 2 days ago.  It said "Offer".   I emailed and said I'd got two mollies this year and so one more wouldn't make much difference.   She came back and said it £50 no offers!!!!!!! I declined her kind offer.    IS IT ME ?????? ::) ::) ::)
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: I think they're having a laugh .....!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 02:19:13 pm »
 ???

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 02:43:36 pm »
I was offered £50 each for my little orphan lambs would have snapped there hands off but the new eartags still haven't arrived

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 02:54:17 pm »
Blimey  :o
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 03:39:25 pm »
£50 ??  ???  I sell my adults for that - clearly I'm in the wrong business - need to cultivate more humbug  :o
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 04:08:00 pm »
Last year the ones we had were £20 each,this year they had gone up to £30.

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 05:19:35 pm »
They obviously have gold and diamond ear tags! ;D

Smashy and gang

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 05:32:28 pm »
Are you talking orphan lambs pre or post all that bottle feeding? 

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 05:47:02 pm »
What is a Molly. Is it a bottle fed lamb?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 05:51:37 pm »
Suddenly I feel I have to make some serious comments here.  I have heard all your stories about buying orphan lambs and rearing them and now I discover you are paying such ridiculous amounts for them.  Someone is laughing all the way to the bank and it isn't you  ???  This is clearly something to do with an increase in the number of new smallholders who maybe just don't know that there is a better way to buy in stock.  If orphan lambs are genuinely orphaned in that their dam has died, or even if they are a third triplet, they have not had a good or natural start in life - after such a start then at best they need an experienced stockman to care for them.  Maybe you are just raising them for meat - but surely you want the healthiest meat to eat, not from an animal which has had antibiotics and been reared on artificial milk replacer and grain? And if you are going to be using these animals in the future as your breeding stock - well, all I can say is that I wouldn't recommend it. When you choose breeding stock you want the best you can buy - from healthy stock, ewes which will lamb without trouble and raise their own lambs, not from a dam which herself could not rear her lamb for whatever (hereditary) reason.
I suspect though that most of you who are buying in orphan lambs are doing so because of the cuddle factor - please just buy a rabbit  :bunny:.
And finally - with prices for orphans so high I can see a new trade where the breeder just takes the lambs straight off their dams and sells them on to the gullible.
I know what I have written will not go down well, but I have been very saddened this spring by what I have read on TAS about people's struggles with rearing orphan lambs  :( :( :(
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 06:20:02 pm »
FW.....Sadly I agree, and think you are right......and the welfare issues etc don't bear thinking about. I used to get them free or for a strong bottle lamb £5.....would never pay £20 plus..... :-\
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 06:22:41 pm »
Have to back up fleecewife  on another forum lamb in a dustbin in manchester . last year woman with 3lambs in her bathroom. recently pet shop caught trying to sell lamb

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 06:39:31 pm »
i am behind fleecewife on this  :sheep::does not make sence £50 for a lamb and £5 for a piglet  :pig:  :sheep::now this is the first mention of the lamb in the dustbin (on here) IT WAS NOT TAGGED  so presume borrowed :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 07:21:32 pm »
I was horrified at the price but hadn't really thought through the welfare implications. You could just see the unscrupulous seeing a way to make an easy buck.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 07:28:41 pm »
Agree, but I'm not sure she's gonna find someone around these parts who is gullible enough to part with 50 quid for a Mollie (Yep Mollie is a bottle fed lamb).  This area is all farms and farming.   The seller did at least have the good sense to ask for a CPH number.....so hopefully it wont end up in a town flat somewhere  :-\ .     I had one little ewe rejected by her Shearling Mum who decided one was quite enough to be dealing with......and I was given the other which was a tiddly 3 week old triplet who happened to be the same size - and they are growing at the same rate which is good.  The Mollie will however, go in the freezer at the end of the year, but the home bred one is destined to be a cracking flock member. (Superb example of a White Ryeland  ;D )

www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS