Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I think they're having a laugh .....!  (Read 9639 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: I think they're having a laugh .....!
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2011, 10:16:00 pm »
Just catching-up on the posts - not been on the forum for a couple of days ...

Totally agree with Fleecewife et al here - orphan lambs are hard b***dy work (been there & got the T-shirt), which is why most farmers don't want them & to charge £50  :o - someone's really taking advantage >:(
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2011, 03:40:59 pm »
Okay i will get serious too, i charge £50.00 for my orphans but they are strong, weaned off the bottle, maybe from dams who had no milk or couldn't go on with the lamb and pedigree but... a word of warning, this type of lamb if kept to go on to breed very often don't make good mothers and the rams can be downright dangerous as they are too quiet and have no respect for humankind.I learnt the hard way,  an orphan ram headbutted me over a set of hurdles once so please be careful.

princesspiggy

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2011, 04:12:49 pm »
the rams can be downright dangerous as they are too quiet and have no respect for humankind.

very true.
when we had 2 mollie lambs for sale a few years back, we cud have sold 20, yet when i offered the ewe and lamb combo, these people werent interested. the price of milk powder cud easily mean u cud sell a weaned bottle-fed lamb for £50 and not make much profit.
we got molly lambs initially as it seemed the easy way to start with a few for the freezer.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2011, 08:10:45 pm »
cheviots sold at the northern marts from 70-110 so that price is not over the top.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2011, 08:46:58 pm »
Yep, agree there needs to be a fair price for weaned stock - but looking back at the beginning of this post the lamb was only 2 days old  :o
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2011, 04:22:58 pm »
I'm with Beewyched on this one.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2011, 06:42:35 pm »
IF I average £50-£60 for my store lambs in sept /oct i will be pleased, if people are willing to pay £50 or even £30 with all the feed and vet costsplus the odd death good luck to them. Yes hoggs are makeing £70 -£120 but they are a year old and have cost a lot to get there

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2011, 07:51:57 pm »
Be buggered, interesting lot of posts on here, didnt realise sheep were such hard work :D certainly scrached my idea of keeping some.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2011, 09:30:51 pm »
even more so if you have one that thinks its a dog.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2011, 09:18:16 pm »
even more so if you have one that thinks its a dog.

Now that one's gotta be worth the fifty quid  ;) ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS