Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Problem Lamb  (Read 5612 times)

old bird

• Joined Feb 2008
Problem Lamb
« on: April 24, 2011, 09:18:47 am »
Me again, sorry! Have finished all my lambing but have one large single ewe lamb causing me concern. She was born last Monday and started showing problems 3 days ago (after I put tail ring on).
She waggles her tail a lot, but it shows no sign of infection and her temperature is normal. Sometimes she is reluctant to stand and collapses if I try and make her - but at other times she trots around no problem. Her breathing can be a bit laboured. Her belly is swollen but doesn't rattle and she has pooed (haven't seen her but evidence - she isn't straining to go), she eats plenty. I'm stumped??
I dressed her cord with iodine as soon as she was born and that is not swollen or hot.  Her joints are not hot or stiff...
She gets no worse and no better but this is definately not normal. Any ideas or is it call the vet on Easter Sunday  :o

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Problem Lamb
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 12:32:43 pm »
How far down the tail did you put the ring?  If docked very short there is a nerve that can get damaged, I don't know whether that can cause the symptoms you list (but someone here probably will.) 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 12:55:09 pm »
Couple of thoughts  you say reluctance to stand sometimes and trots not runs, white muscle caused by selenium shotage can cause syptoms. Laboured breathing and reluctance to move maybe pneumonia, Could be internal organ damage trod on or butted . The ring ive never seen a problem before welfare rules some pedigree lambs had tails not even covering the anus.

old bird

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 02:55:18 pm »
I think there may be something in your idea about the tail ring. It's a fair way down (being a ewe) but she constantly waggles it. I was wondering if some nerve was being pinched and this is sending some signal to the back legs.... Not so sure about selenium as none of the other large single lambs show any problems, and if pneumonia surely she'd have a temperature? Wonder if I should take the tail ring off?

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
  • Grass cutting, what old fellers do!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 03:18:50 pm »
Rings worth whipping off, could be a trapped nerve a bit like human sciatica. Its interesting about the White Muscle but I would have thought others would show symptoms too. Hope its sorted soon!

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 03:28:03 pm »
really????? I would have though having been on for some time the last thing you should do is remove the ring. maybe try rining higher up and then removing but you could be asking for more trouble otherwise?
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
  • Grass cutting, what old fellers do!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 03:54:20 pm »
It shouldnt cause a problem, I am a wee bit old fashioned and would cauterise or use pitch. that said, unless you see the animal it could be anything. These forums are grand places but I think they can cause as much confusion as good!

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 04:15:43 pm »
THIS is the problem with forums some of the posters dont read or absorbe what has been posted :o
old bird clearly stated the ring had been on for THREE days stick a ring  (rubber)on your finger take it of after 3 days and see if it will still work :wave:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 04:55:39 pm »
The tail is dead so taking the ring off will not help and will cause pain . WM only affects the odd lamb not all . very mild pneumonia does not always present a high temp. if you had not done such a through inspection i would have said you are describing fly strike. Are you posative the mother has plenty of milk . sometimes (joint ill ) does not show externaly but goes straight for the internal organs. could be a multitude of things ?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 05:20:10 pm by shep53 »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 05:53:41 pm »
Perhaps the vet is the only option now.  I'm afraid I'm a softie and if it was one of my dogs or cat, would have called the vet for advice two days ago knowing the Easter weekend was coming up.  But I understand it isn't always done like that with farm animals.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

old bird

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 10:56:17 pm »
Well I did call the vet - he has given the lamb an anti inflammatory and a penicillin as his idea was that it may be an abcess on the spine. He said don't remove the ring it won't make any difference - of course the lamb jumped up and ran across the field, not displaying much problem at all! His only other suggestion was swayback although thought it unlikely (just as well because no cure) as we don't have copper deficiency in this area....

I'll let you know how she gets on.

Thanks for all the advice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS