Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pork in the fridge  (Read 3258 times)

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
pork in the fridge
« on: April 21, 2011, 05:04:33 pm »
Hi all,

Someone asked me how long they could keep pork in the fridge before it was no good for eating and i was unsure so i thought id pick your brains ;D

I know when i take pigs to the abattoir they are killed on the Monday and left to hang till Thursday before being butchered but don't know how long it should last as its generally dished out,cured or eaten at a frightening rate :pig:

Thanks
 Rob
Rob & Manda :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: pork in the fridge
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 05:06:55 pm »
Hello, stranger  ;D

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 06:34:23 pm »
Ours hang for more than a week, we don't get them back until a week and a half at least after killing, and then the pork can still stay in the fridge for a few days.

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 06:39:56 pm »
Hello rosemary,

Been a busy beaver just lately so not been on much :'(

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
  • Grass cutting, what old fellers do!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 06:57:04 pm »
When I was in commercial pig rearing 21 days was considered the maximum for cold hanging before freezing. Now wild boar and Tamworth seem to better after 25 or so. The maggots will let you know usually if you have left it too long...........

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 07:16:14 pm »
The look on Manda's face if she saw maggots in the fridge would be well worth any ear bashing ;D

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 07:24:25 pm »
lol! I remember leaving a box of maggots in the fridge once and forgetting about them ( for fishing! ) I heard screaming and rushed into the kitchen to find my daughter surrounded by bluebottles, she was only 9 and still threatens to sue me for child abuse if I upset her. Shes now 31.........  :o

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 10:26:28 am »
It depends on whether it was treated properly between killing and refridgerator.  I have seen cases where pigs are home slaughtered, left to hang in a warm area overnight then butchered.  Naturally that meat would not have as long a shelf life as a pig killed in an abattoir, carcass cleaned, hung and split in shortest possible time and then hung to cool in an airblasting refrigeratorm cut in a cold cutting area and then stored in the fridge would give a far longer shelf life.    Then again it also depends if the fridge is continually opened and shut.  How big the meat is i.e.  a joint or a single chop. 

I have a joint in the fridge which has been there a week and is still fine. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 04:06:21 pm »
I have a joint in the fridge which has been there a week and is still fine. 

Which leads into my answer to the original question - which is, so long as it smells and looks ok!   ;D

Some shop-bought meat may not last more than a couple of days, while I expect my own pork to be happy for up to a week after defrosting.  Better drier than wet, I find, so if it's defrosted and you want to keep it in the fridge for a while longer, remove and discard the wrapping, tip any water off and dry the pork, then if possible wrap it in greaseproof or butchers' paper (as I think of it, no idea what it's really called) not clingfilm or anything plastic.  I expect cloth works too but haven't tried it.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 06:19:11 pm »
Its cooking now, the joint, and it smells delicious  ...

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 12:12:34 pm »
Mmmm! Roast maggots and apple sauce, now thats LIVING.........

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 12:22:29 pm »
Dont knock it those maggots just add something to the flavour  mmmmmmmmm

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 02:42:42 pm »
I wasnt knocking them honest! I prefer mine deep fried and crispy with a sprinkling of dill.........

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 09:38:50 am »
oooh new maggot recipe, ok dinner tonight ....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS