Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The wrong way round  (Read 3416 times)

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
The wrong way round
« on: April 24, 2011, 07:43:58 am »
Please tell me I'm not the only person who does things the wrong way round. We decided we wanted turkeys (and our bumps feeling...we really don't NEED turkeys but there you go) and started putting feelers out. Suddenly out of the blue we found an advert on our local web page for a couple of trios...brilliant. Phoned them up, went down to see them, haggled a fair price and brought them home. All ok so far....trouble is, we haven't actually built a turkey shed and the pop hole for the chicken shed is way too small for our new boy. Solution...the turkeys spent the night in the trailer and we're off out now to build them a posh pad. I just need conformation that's it's not just me...please  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: The wrong way round
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 08:28:48 am »
It's not you. Sometimes heart rules head or an opportunity just has to be taken. Enjoy your building! ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 08:33:45 am »
It's not just you  ;)
When we were 'thinking' about getting our first pigs we (okay, so I say we - I mean me !) found someone fairly local who kept pigs and arranged to go down for a 'look' and some advice before getting them. I'd done a bit of research, but wanted to speak to someone who actually kept them (back in the pre-TAS days  ;))
Yup - you've guessed it ! We came home with them in the boot of my company car with only a big 1 tonne hessian feed bag between them and the lovely clean, sweet smelling upholstery  ::) Unloaded them into our kitchen (the dogs loved that  :o) and spent the next hour hastily sorting a small pen and house for them.
Needless to say, we're a bit more organised than that now - but my OH always gets a slight look of terror on his face when I tell him I've been 'thinking' about something or suggest going to see someone who keeps any kind of livestock.................. I wonder why ?  ;D ;D ;D
Karen  :wave:

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 08:39:28 am »
hiya
we did the same
went out to pick up more chickens and bought 5 turkeys and a stag!!!!
now got 9 in the incubator (day 7 today so candleing later ???)
we had to keep them there cos had no shed to put them in.
funny how you quickyl make space ;D

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 10:04:06 am »
we were organised for turkeys last year, nice big goose house in with the sheeps paddock, nice clean grazing, but come hell or high water they wont stay there, even with clipped wings. theyv adopted the woodland near the chickens and are definitely ruling their roost there. so gona have to buy a new house cos the goose house def wont survive another move.
goodluck  ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 10:20:21 am »
I know what you mean, we went to visit a friend and I came home with a pet turkey.   

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 12:19:08 pm »
It's not just you.

I have more than once been discussing where the current occupant of the trailer / pick up is going to go on the drive home.

We have to be more organised with feathered things because we have foxes and mink to consider, but many of my current menagerie were in 'temporary' accommodation for a while on arrival...  In fact, Meg's now nearly full grown and her ark has only just arrived (and is being hammerited before being installed) - she's had 2 temporary outside shelters and three iterations of an in-byre pen for times when the temporary outside accommodation wasn't adequate.  And that's worked great, because she's very tame and used to all the comings and goings of all the humans and other animals, and is used to being moved about the farm following a tin of pig nuts.

(I know she needs more porcine company - but she honestly hasn't missed the bullying Gaby one little bit, and the plan is to get her in pig as soon as lambing is over.)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 02:24:49 pm »
Phew...turkey des res now complete along with a full sunday roast (us girls are wonderful aren't we) so only one night in the trailer :)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 02:51:48 pm »
We learn to be more organised as the mayhem progresses ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS