Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Siting of caravan on my own land.  (Read 90835 times)

abbeyroaduk

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Merseyside
Siting of caravan on my own land.
« on: April 22, 2011, 06:28:13 pm »
Can anyone tell me the law on siting a caravan upon private land. I have trawled the net searching for details but keep getting conflicting information. Upon my retirement I recently purchased an 11 acre smallholding including a 1.5 acre lake in Gwynned North Wales, my idea was to get the land back into some usable form as its covered with couch grass, plant a few fruit trees and vegetables and maybe keep a few chickens. And although i don't know what fish are in the lake i thought i would have a go at fishing. However i have come up against a brick wall with the council as i put a static caravan on the site without permission and have been told to remove it. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you resolve it. I really need to know what are my rights, as all i am getting from the council (Like a scene from Little Brittain) is the computer says NO!.
Please help  :farmer:
John Glover

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Siting of caravan on my own land.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 06:55:47 pm »
This is an old one , simply no statics without permission and then they will set a time on them being there, ie my mate got two years permission while they built a house. A mobile one is dodgy, how big is mobile! Best to just ask what you can put on there and keep in their good books.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 08:01:19 pm »

Technically, yes, you need planning permission and they'll only grant it for a limited number of years...

But...

When we bought this place the previous owners had one here - they took it away and we replaced it with a newer one.

The council tried to tell us we needed planning permission but I was able to provide them with photographs going back twenty or thirty years showing a caravan in situ and they relented, agreeing to turn a blind eye to it, but any new siting would need planning.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 12:30:15 am »
You might find something useful here : http://www.tlio.org.uk/chapter7/planningadvice
Good folk, the Chapter 7 folk, and tremendously knowledgeable
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 12:41:44 am »
I know a few people who have come up against this problem ....but, if you can find/afford a good agent to help you, some people I know have been successful in keeping their caravan for 3 years, and got planning for a house on the land too. I think this is the best you will get, temp permission.  Suppose they have this rule, otherwise, whats to stop everyone with some land sticking a static van on it?

I know someone who has managed to put up a log cabin, for three years, with the intention of building a house there eventually.

I also think you could fight them with the fact that you need to live on the land to tend your livestock, but probably you would have to prove they needed overnight looking after.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 09:07:36 am »
Is'nt there a rule that you need to make the larger percentage of your income from the livestock to be able to build a house on the land?  I have vague memories of years ago when we were looking.

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
  • Grass cutting, what old fellers do!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 04:33:55 pm »
Offer to be ag tie restricted, it might make them relent. I knew some folk in Beds who lived in a portakabin. They convinced the autocrats by running their lakes as a day ticket fishery arguing it brought money and employment to the area.
Its so sad when good intentioned folk like yourself meet these out of date regulations, I can get very fruity about officials but will restrict my writing to "good luck"!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 10:09:22 am »
What works where we used to live was a good under the counter bonus for the planning officials.  Worked wonders for our neighbour.

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 11:23:23 am »
John, I replied to your im.

Hilarys mama! How to grease the oily wheels? Shame upon you lass!  :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 11:27:23 am »
What works where we used to live was a good under the counter bonus for the planning officials.  Worked wonders for our neighbour.
My building control officer when I built my own house wouldn't even accept a cup of tea nor an invite to the house warming party ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 09:26:47 am »
It wasnt us.  it happened twice, once when a field we kept our horses on was suddenly allowed planning (and I got that info from the participating officer's under dog) and when our neighbour decided to extend his house.  He was refused planning but went ahead anyway.  We objected.  The planning office said no problem he would be forced to return it to original (that was not our concern it was a fire hazard with less than a metre between his peaked roof and ours.  He even got away with safety regs.  Finally a lovely rotweiller lady got onto it, and a lot of changes were made which improved OUR safety.  But he knew the right people and boasted to us that he would get away with it because he knew who had greasy palms (he was an ex planning dept. worker) and he did, and got away with far more than anyone else would have done.

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 11:04:59 am »
Mmm! No surprises there, we have the same with Masons here. Not the stone variety either!  :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 11:34:11 am »
Mmm! No surprises there, we have the same with Masons here. Not the stone variety either!  :wave:

Was that a funny handshake there?!   ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 04:42:12 pm »
Nay lass not me! I would shoot the bluddy lot of them!  :farmer:

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 09:33:11 am »

Its a funny old world, we have a caravan on our land but it was hard work, within days we had a call from the planning officer stating he had recieved a number of complaints from local villagers (the same ones who we had banned from using our land for their horsey activities, presumably) we pointed out it was a tourer not a static, we got them off our backs eventually but not before a load of acrimony had developed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS