Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: just had to help a ewe give birth  (Read 2906 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
just had to help a ewe give birth
« on: April 19, 2011, 09:32:47 pm »
we have just had to deliver a lamb with a leg back that was stuck. i tried pushing it back but it was stuck so i had to just extract it. what did i do wrong.
next question mum completly reject the lamb. as this is our first caddy how often do we feed him. he has had colustrium replacer and a bottle of milk replacer.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: just had to help a ewe give birth
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 09:39:37 pm »
i dont think you did anything 'wrong', sometimes they just present like that and you have no option.  one leg is better than none!

one of our sheltand ewes who just had triplets today, presented her second one like that (a huge tup lamb) and we just had to help her get it out like that as the whole head was out and too dangerous to shove it back in again......not that the ewe would have been best chuffed either now i come to think about it!!

how often to feed, not sure but surprised mum totally rejecting it, especially if it's a single

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 10:03:03 pm »
she was not much use last year. lost one of two because she rejected it. he was very big so im not surprised she did not like being caught and shall we say messed about with.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 10:21:07 pm »
She'll feel a bit under the weather I suspect - a bit bruised.
Make sure you give her an antibiotic injection (sorry if this is egg-sucking advice) - essential if you've 'been in'.

So - tie her up or get someone to hold her and put the lamb on to feed. Hopefully once she gets going she'll relax into it. And fuss her a bit - treats etc.

Good luck

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 10:53:11 pm »
The guides should be on the sack of Lamlac from the vets. When we have a caddy though we do use the instructions as guides and let the lamb decide when it has had enough as long as it gets the right amount throughout the day.If she has rejected it purely on the stress of the situation try taking them both in together to bond in the quiet, the mothering instinct will come into play if she is left alone in peace with a bleeting lamb. Check see if she does not have mastitis as that will  cause repeated rejection as well as some get mastitis when due. If it is a ram lamb and a caddy it can become dangerous in a playful way when older so tell Rachel she will get butted if she keeps it! If it is a ewe caddy they can be very helpul in bringing the rest of the flock with them when they follow you about the place like a shadow ::)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 11:06:44 pm »
In total ignorance of all things sheepie, here is the stupid question you have all been waiting for!  ;) What is a caddy? (other than for putting tea or golf clubs in, that is  ::))
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 11:09:06 pm »
Caddy is a hand reared lamb ,I suppose different parts of the country have their own names for them but in the North they are caddies.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS