Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Miniature Cattle?  (Read 36230 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Miniature Cattle?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 08:30:38 pm »
Go for Dexter or Shetland, I saw Shetlands at the Isbisters croft near Scalloway, smashing breed. We kept Dexters at my dads farm before he bought Angus. They are a grand breed. I crofted on Unst a long time ago and the locals kept Ayrshires, all these breeds do well on hilly land and average grass. If I were to go for a housecow now it would be a Shetland, calm and quiet. I remember Dexter bulls being hard to handle at times although the beef is a joy!

Thank you for the Shetland vote  :-*

Our heifers' dams are Trondra cows from the Isbisters herd  :cow: :cow:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 08:32:44 pm by Rosemary »

princesspiggy

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2011, 10:17:10 am »
my two are trondra girls, smashing and gorgeous, definitely recommend them.

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
  • Grass cutting, what old fellers do!
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2011, 11:21:25 am »
Glad you like your girls ladies! The Isbisters certainly know their stock and are grand folk to boot!  :wave:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2011, 01:34:47 pm »
thats very true. they are very friendly.

malcgough

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2011, 08:34:28 am »
For those intertested in miniuature cattle, or more specifically miniature Hereforeds, you may like to check out ouir website: www.chatervalley.com. We are breeding pedigree mini Herefords which are fully registered with the UK's Hereford Society. it's been a long haul and a slow process but we have built a small her54d here in Rutland. We should have stock to sell within a year or so, all being well. MG 

Hebridean

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2011, 07:30:56 pm »
We have just bought a Shetland heifer in calf. She is 20 months old and seems to have a gentle disposition. She didn't like wearing a halter or being transported in a horse box. So was a bit agitated to begin with. But four days later and she is coming to the bucket for a few nuts.
So far, so good. We are highly delighted with her. Thanks to Rosemary for making the suggestion to look at Shetlands  :)

princesspiggy

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2011, 11:23:49 pm »
well done , good choice...any fotos?

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2011, 01:10:33 pm »
For those intertested in miniuature cattle, or more specifically miniature Hereforeds, you may like to check out ouir website: www.chatervalley.com. We are breeding pedigree mini Herefords which are fully registered with the UK's Hereford Society. it's been a long haul and a slow process but we have built a small her54d here in Rutland. We should have stock to sell within a year or so, all being well. MG 

Ooh didn't know anyone bred them in the U.K :)Love Herefords!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2011, 04:08:05 pm »

How do these compare to Traditional Herefords? There were a few at the Welsh Smallholder Show - much smaller than the modern type (although hardly miniature  :))

Bioman

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2011, 04:35:38 pm »
Dexters used to have a dodgy reputation for being jumpy, but this has long been bred out.

I wouldnt put any of the continental breeds onto a Jersey or anything else for first time around. Try jersey or old style angus or something wacky like an Irish Moiled! (Which I believe is a fantastic house cow, as like the shetland it is triple purpose.)

I would only use continental breed AI if your first round of AI doesnt work as generally the continentals specifically Belgian Blues, are more fertlie.

Belgian Blue x Jersey or Holstein is the norm in Dairy herds only when the first round of AI doesnt take, (AI only works 40-50% of the time according to official figures) I should know I work on a Holstein/Friesian farm. And have been on a Jersey farm where there were 250 milkers and only between 5 and 10 continental cross bred calves. Says something about the Jersey fertility - very high!

I have no experience of Shetlands unfortunetly.

One thing to keep in mind is that Continental cattle even when crossed are jumpy. BB's are probably the best and seem to be getting better but Charolais, Limousin are jumpy despite the breed societies best efforts.

Cross breeding increases the likelyhood of throwbacks so bringing back really mad cattle you can ask a local farmer who thought it would be a good idea to cross Limousin with Highland. (They broke out and ran 12 miles before being culled via slaughter man and police marksmen on the back of pickup trucks and in helicopters.

So all in all Dexter, Jersey, Shetland and Irish Moiled would be all excellent for a house cow. Just stay british as there's a reason why our breeds are found in a the inhabited continents on Earth.

P.S. I want a Moiley if anyone would give me one I wouldnt say no  ;)

P.P.S There are two types of Devon both a shade of Red. South Devons are larger and a gingery red whilst Devon Ruby Reds are dark red. Please state whether they are Ruby Reds or not as to a newbie it wouldnt make sense. I believe you were talking about Devon Ruby Reds. South Devons however are still triple purpose so could probably be added to your list; just to set the Cat amongst the Pigeons.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2011, 02:05:59 pm »
Saw this in Smallholder magazine advertisements. www.lowlinecattle.co.uk

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2011, 10:30:10 pm »
Rosemary,  you're in Scotland aren't you?  We are thinking about getting Shetlands and would love to speak to you more about them or come and see yours if you're up for it????  Let me know.
Melanie x

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2011, 10:26:07 am »
Rosemary, the other thing I wanted to ask was if there would be any problem keeping a couple of heifers in with some goats?  Are the goats prone to having a go at the cows?  Would I be best to separate the area for them?  Thanks x

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2011, 04:58:06 pm »
Rosemary,  you're in Scotland aren't you?  We are thinking about getting Shetlands and would love to speak to you more about them or come and see yours if you're up for it????  Let me know.
Melanie x
Rosemary, the other thing I wanted to ask was if there would be any problem keeping a couple of heifers in with some goats?  Are the goats prone to having a go at the cows?  Would I be best to separate the area for them?  Thanks x

Happy for you to come and see ours. Send me a PM and we'll arrange something.

Don't know about goats - ours graze fine with the sheep and the ponies- - sheep bottom of pecking order, then cows then ponies  ;D

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2011, 11:55:25 pm »
Thanks Rosemary, I'll PM you.  Can you just let me know one final thing first though so that I'm not wasting your time.  Is there recommended space requirements for keeping cows on - we've been told 1 cow per acre - is this right????

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS