Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Miniature Cattle?  (Read 36393 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Miniature Cattle?
« on: April 13, 2011, 04:20:25 pm »
I've just been reading about these. I've always wanted a house cow but my OH isn't keen on anymore large livestock (I have a bit of a thing for shire horses! ::)) but got quite iterested when he heard about miniature Dexters.

What are your thoughts? I know nothing much about cattle so am not sure if the sentiments are the same as those regarding micro pigs, or whether they are considered similar to miniature ponies and fairly "normal".

I'm off to do some more googling! :wave: :cow:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Miniature Cattle?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 05:23:22 pm »
I spoke to Colin (he comes on the forum occasionally when he can use his cousin's computer)yesterday about his - Dexters are smaller than other cattle and quite docile I believe, but he said there were two types - long legged and short legged.  I don't know if they are bred separately or if they are the same breed but some turn out shorter than others.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jacksonsrarebreedpork

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 06:24:26 pm »
i have dexters and they are fantastic
any questions just pm me n ill help in any way

princesspiggy

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 07:57:40 pm »
id recommend shetland cows, def short but quite stocky, and no trouble what so ever. very gentle and sweet, and also keep on good condition on just grass and haylage.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 02:27:02 am »
As with all such questions, we each favour our own breed or type. 

Check the profile pic - you won't be surprised that I think you would go a long way to beat a Jersey for a house cow.  She's small and dainty, light on her feet, and will give you milk for the house on not much more than grass, or a lot of milk if you feed her for it.  (Mine rears her own calf and a set-on, gives milk for the house and at the moment also the orphan lambs.)

I have never touched a Dexter but I have heard some people say they can be a bit wild.  Others of course have lovely tame ones that behave just like my Jersey  ;)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 09:18:59 am »
We don;t currently have the land as we have horses here on livery, but the plan in a couple of years, when we have children is that the liveries (which have helped pay for lots of repairs etc) will leave and we will revert back to a proper smallholding. We have pigs, chickens and ducks here but would be considering a VERY small flock of sheep and a house cow.

Sally ... can she easily be crossed with something that would produce a good beef calf? My mum has always loved Jerseys and I used to work with them a lot  :)

I have a bit of thinking to do as we don#t currently have anywhere to milk (a big field shelter with gates might be our only option for this) but I'm hopeful that we can sort something out  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 09:34:56 am »
Please consider the Shetland. We have 2 heifers and plan to milk them next year after they calve for the first time. The milk is usually about 5% BF and they produce a good beef carcase, although small. They are the traditional Shetland house cow.

I think Jerseys are lovely too, but the Shetland is a rare breed that needs help to survive, so if helping rare breeds is important to you, please look at the Shetland.

Don't know where you are loosey but you would be very welcome to come and see ours.

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 10:08:00 am »
jerseys are gorgeous too but we needed hardy up here.
rosemary, i think yours are 3 months older than ours, when r u planning to do ur ai?  :wave:

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 11:22:47 am »
I'm in Cornwall Rosemary, so pretty far away!! My OH has lots of family in Scotland so that could be a good excuse to come back with some moo's!

Can they live out all year? That would be my only problem I think ... hvaing to find something that will happily live out ... I presume this shouldn't be an issue for a hardy breed, especially as we would provide a shelter with adequate bedding etc.

I'm a bit frustrated that all this might be a long time away ... I want cows now!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 01:50:47 pm »
Yes, Shetlands will live out all year. Have a look at the Shetland Cattle Breeders Association website for more information www.shetlandcattle.org.uk If you contact the Secretary, Barry Allen, he'll be able to put you in touch with any local breeders.

Also the following link http://www.sac.ac.uk/news/currentnews/shetlandcattle/ is interesting.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 01:56:22 pm »
jerseys are gorgeous too but we needed hardy up here.
rosemary, i think yours are 3 months older than ours, when r u planning to do ur ai?  :wave:

Ours have just turned a year, so will be ready anytime. I'd like to calve them mid-April next year so I'm sure the grass is growing (or a sure as I can be). I need to make up a timetable - actually, will go and do that now.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 01:49:49 am »
Sally ... can she easily be crossed with something that would produce a good beef calf? My mum has always loved Jerseys and I used to work with them a lot  :)

Loosey, yes Jerseys are renown for being able to produce good beef x calves.  British Blue x from a Jersey is probably now the norm in dairy herds; it used to be Charollais.

I have been advised to break her in gently with something not too large for the first calf, either a Jersey (hoping for a heifer, unless you want a bullock for your own freezer) or an easy-calving beefy type such as an Angus.  2nd calf Angus, Limousin or similar (I am trying to get a Red Devon x, not sure if the AI has taken yet) and after that Charollais, British Blue - whatever you want. 

I don't think you would have any trouble with her living out in Cornwall so long as there is shelter.  (Well as long as you are not up on Bodmin Moor or something.)  I know of Jerseys who live out all year in Somerset - and have milked same in December in a hand-built field shelter (actually built for goats) by the light of a hurricane lantern!

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 11:12:43 am »
my shetlands lived out all winter, wind, snow and everything, they have freerange and use of open barn which they come back to by choice everynight whatever the weather. they are so kind and not any trouble at all. these were our first cows ever and def recommend them. good luck in choosing.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 04:48:04 pm »
Right, Sally, square go - Jersey v Shetland. Winner decides what kind of cow loosey gets  ;D ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 07:02:54 pm »
Right, Sally, square go - Jersey v Shetland. Winner decides what kind of cow loosey gets  ;D ;D
   ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS