Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How hard is it to matchmake pigs?!  (Read 2317 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
How hard is it to matchmake pigs?!
« on: April 13, 2011, 09:29:13 am »
Having been let down with the Saddleback boar that Tulip was meant to go to, I searched high and low for another ... eventually managed to find a GOS a fair distance away and arranged to take her there next Monday. Called yesterday to say they are selling their stock so they can't help but put me in touch with someone else a bit further away ... he can't help for 8 weeks and even at that time his boars will be up for sale  >:( :(

Actually a little bit stuck now. We need one of the girls to go off to the pig pen in the sky (our freezer) but that would leave Tulip on her own and without a boar. I really don't think Daisy is going to be happy about a boar moving in to the next door paddock and after 5 weeks of looking, haven't come up with anyone who will take her.

I can't move Daisy and the piglets out until the two girls have gone elsewhere as the septic tank emptying people are putting in new drain covers and are in the top part of the paddocks ... aaargh!

OH says Tulip should go in the freezer and we should keep one of Daisy's girls for breeding next year when everything can be planned and we're hopefully not stupid enough to get into the same situation  >:( >:(

How stressful! :pig: :pig:

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: How hard is it to matchmake pigs?!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 09:47:12 am »
You're not stupid, it's just bad luck.  ;)

If Tulip goes for meat, you're keeping Daisy and one of her girls... as long as you have an unrelated boar who can get both Daisy and her girl (or perhaps 2 girls?) in pig, it may be a good idea.

:wave:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 10:06:32 am »
Loosey
Try Julie Dronfield she's in Cornwall and i know she has a good selection of pigs. her details are on the GOS website under members or i think her website is piglets pen or something like that. Wish i was nearer.
HTH
mandy

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 11:38:41 am »
Or AI from Deerpark, my friend is always successful with that (and no boar on the premises)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 12:08:54 pm »
Hi Mandy, I tried Julie but she can't take Tulip there. I might have found a lady that can take Tulip for 25 days ... not really long enough, but she is due to come into season at the end of this week so you never know when you might get lucky?! If that doesn't work I will consider AI, although now it's not ideal for their first time. Goodness, how stressful!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS