Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: GOS or Berkshires for a noob  (Read 10527 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: GOS or Berkshires for a noob
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 10:24:03 am »
We keep LBs and have had other breeds prefer GOS to all.  I h ave noticed a l ovely curry smell eminates from our Gossies except the boar - he stinks -  Digby who is a Large Black doesnt really have an odour, unless he has been indoors when I spray air freshener or more likely now fly repellent. 

Wibblers

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 06:53:06 pm »
Hmm, stinky GOS's that's something we hadn't heard of. Oh joy!  :o   ;)

princesspiggy

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 09:45:31 pm »
mine are outside now so whiff has gone, tammies werent bothered at all so that was a relief. they are still having "madpig" and theyre ears flap when they run...so funny

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 01:01:32 pm »
My OSB sow had a really strong curry smell - another reason to get rid of her! I'm glad it wasn't just my imagination!
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 09:00:15 am »
Our  GOS have a lovely smell, slightly curry, certanly not piggy. 

Easiest way to load GOS if you have a trailer available for a few days.  Leave feed, bananas apples in a trailer, moving them further towards the back each day.  Curiousity and greed will have them walking in quite quickly.  On slaughter day just shut the door.

if the ramp is very steep, its easier to load them using straw bales under the ramp.  For some reason they dont mind climbing up but dont like a steep walk.  ;D

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 06:08:19 pm »
Ive been saying one of ours smells of curry, but OH can't smell it!
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 09:24:16 am »
Perhaps its like boar taint, not everyone can smell it.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 07:32:53 pm »
I have to say I have never noticed a curry smell with my OSBs.  Their poo smells like pig poo, they themselves don't smell much at all to me.  (Ok as a farmer I am pretty inured to smells, but I am usually aware of them - just don't mind them!)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 08:45:22 am »
Our large blacks and other breeds we have had in the past did not have this smell.  We first noticed it when Edwina arrived, hence the name, and then with her daughters.  As the herd increased so did the smell!  Pleasant smell though

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 08:52:32 am »
We first noticed it when Edwina arrived, hence the name

Took me a moment  ??? but I got it in the end  ;D ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 01:24:11 pm »
We first noticed it when Edwina arrived, hence the name

Took me a moment  ??? but I got it in the end  ;D ;D

Good one HM  ;D ;D ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 01:28:42 pm »
I just had a friend visit and took her to see Meg.  I was telling her that you all have been saying how OSBs smell of curry but I thought Meg just smelled of pig.  My friend said she could distinguish a curry smell - not like a plate of curry but like a proper curry paste made by a proper Indian chef.  As soon as she said that I could smell it too - so now I suppose Meg will always smell of (high class Indian) curry paste to me too!   ::)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2011, 09:15:13 pm »
My Kunes definately smell different to the LB - I'm so glad someone else has noticed there are different pig smells, thought it was just me  ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 09:07:10 am »
Following on from this discussion I got up close and personal with the LB girls and noticed they have a peppery smell, but it is very subtle.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 11:26:46 am »
Okay, so different breeds have different smells ... do the different breeds' meat reflect those scents in different flavours? 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS