Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: feeding  (Read 5834 times)

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
feeding
« on: January 19, 2009, 10:43:32 am »
I have five ryeland ewes that are hopefully in lamb. Not sure if they are singles or twins as scanning a small number is not an option. I would like advice on feeding them. Lambs are due after 15th March. I have been giving them some beet pulp shreds and hay as required. I have now started giving them some nuts but am unsure how much to give them. Any advice?  :-\  :sheep:  :sheep:  :sheep:  :sheep:  :sheep:
Karen

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: feeding
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 10:57:22 am »
I have about 50 Ryelands here. One is due in 2 weeks, she is being fed (forgive my reasoning as if you weigh that amount  it is roughly the correct amount they need) half a plastic kitchen measuring jug of ewe nuts twice a day this will gradually increase to a full jug full twice a day in the last week. All the others are on roughly 3/4 of a jug full a day. I separate them as they get nearer there timetherefore increasing their rations. My vet suggested that they should all be fed as if expecting twins.
Ryelands normally have a single lamb first time (not always the norm). So first timers feed slightly less unless you can see humps both sides, try not to let them get too fat as it makes it harder for them to lamb.
They also have a high energy mineral lick. :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

Hope this helps.
Kaz
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 11:01:48 am »
Thanks for the quick reply. How big is your measuring jug?
Karen

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 11:04:04 am »
It measures up to one litre and of course they are fed ewe nuts. You will probably have other replies regarding this, but I have found this works for me.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 11:08:01 am »
Thanks for that. I will dash out now with my measuring jug and measure the feed out into the bucket I feed them with  ;D
Karen

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 07:25:24 pm »
I think the amount to feed is relative to the quality of the hay/grass and other feeds you have. This year I've cut our ewes down to 1lb of ewe nuts per day pre-lambing as the Hay is fantastic quality(somehow). they do get fodderbeet/mangels to help with milk production. Our ewes get the same ration from 6-8 weeks to lambing depending on condition and number of lambs that is fit ewes start getting cake from 6 weeks triplets will get cake from 8 weeks. Some suffolk pedigree breeders will feed up to 4lb per day in ewe nutsbut i'm not a big fan as this WILL lead to problems at lambing time.
Ian

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 07:37:46 pm »
Our hay has been lousy this year, cut late in the season. I have found if you feed Ryelands too much earlier in their pregnancy it can lead to small multiple births, not good. Therefore I give more in the last two weeks when the most growing is happening. Unless you have hundreds of sheep people will just not come to scan them however many sheep you have so you are running blind.
At the end of the day everyone has their own way of doing things and a lot depends on the breed of the sheep. A downs breed would be fed differently to a hill sheep. If it looks as if they are losing condition more feed can be given.
Kaz

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 08:13:13 pm »
We had our three scanned today. Cost £20 but I'm viewing it as a welfare issue like shearing and it was worth every penny.

Juno is carrying twins, Jinx, a single and Jura does not appear to be in lamb. However, it's only two weeks since we brought them home and they have to be 30 days pregnant to be able to see the lamb, so if she was caught late, she might still be pregnant. The scanner said she would try and swing by in three weeks and have another look at her.

I was so lucky to get Gillian's contact details.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 06:25:59 am »
I would pay what ever it cost to have mine scanned, but I just cannot find someone willing to scan so few as they say. It would be so much easier prior and at lambing time.

Glad to see Juno is expecting twins Rosemary all the best with that , you'll have a Ryeland flock in the end.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 08:48:57 am »
That's what Dan is worried about  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS