Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: the veggie plot.  (Read 195892 times)

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
Re: the veggie plot.
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2008, 08:51:31 am »
But im sure you wouldnt have it any other way :D- i must admit i have now sent off for my cultivator- its neither the hard work nor the duff back which have led me to this decision but purely the time aspect , as we both work full  time there are barely enough daylight hours at the mo to achieve the basic chores , and as we have all the veggie plot / fruit garden and the new 8 raised beds to dig - plus 8 trees to plant  so i dont see us getting it done without a mechanical friend :D - although on a positive note i have now planted some first earlies in the polytunnel and made a new 4 tier strawberry growing table ;D
Good luck with the gravel Russ and look after that back!
Guy
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2008, 03:06:40 pm »
Well done, glad you managed to do some work
Linz

rustyme

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2008, 05:51:18 pm »
cheers Linz,
               I hope the bug/infection sorted itself out with you now?....

thanks Guy,
              I hope everything goes well with the mechanical helper when it arrives  ;)   Working full time must make things a bit difficult to say the least. At least I can go out and do as much as I want when I want , well within reason anyway.

I got about the same amount of work done today as yesterday, so all still going along nicely so far . I have hit a patch ( on the veggie plot ) where I only dug down about 9" or 10" before, and at the bottom is a layer of large stones. They are from about the size of a fist upto very big ones...the largest I couldn't lift at all . It was about 3' x 2' x 1' , so very big indeed. Rather than go to all the effort of making a tripod and getting it out with a hoist , I just smashed it up with a lump hammer. That took forever , but made some good hardcore for the track.       Digging the gravel is hard work ,as it is under 6" of fast flowing water and it is mixed with loads of big stones, house brick and breeze block size, so I can't just push the shovel in and get a good heap out .
          The back has held up so far , fingers crossed it will stay ok for a while longer. I think the main danger at the moment is doing heavy work in the cold , very easy to pull a muscle.
 Cheers

Russ

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2008, 06:18:49 pm »
cheers Linz,
               I hope the bug/infection sorted itself out with you now?....
nope waiting for results but am doing stuff around the house aswell as being totally bored sitting on my @rse doing naught. Did go for a drive in the car yesterday and 'tried' to take some photos, 1st i had forgotten the memory car for camera then after coming back to get that and back out again the batteries died on me so gave up as i was getting cold too.
lol.

hubby did a bit yesterday and cleared the shed out for his workshop :) but we have discovered that it has a real bad leak  in it so we'll have to get the council out the sort it.

but lots of wood came out of there that i can use for my raised beds.

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2008, 11:34:56 pm »
Good grief Russ - by the sound of your day , it almost makes me glad i was at work today ( almost but not quite! :D) those rocks sound a pain in the wotsit - but at least you have made some good out of it for the driveway - we had a visit from the inlaws today and were given loads of strawberry plants and raspberry canes- a nice surprise when i got home, so in celebration we cracked open a bottle of last years celery wine- :) and somehow everything seemed easy again :D

rustyme

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2008, 01:00:35 am »
blimey Linz, I really hope you get sorted out soon .....nothing worse than waiting for doctors results. Luckily ,so far , I have only had broken bones and such , and they are pretty much instant diagnosis...ie broken leg... try to stand on it ...you fall over....no need to wait for ever to find out what is wrong ...lol. I am glad that it is not just me that has days like you did though , with the camera and such....I do things like that all the time. Fingers crossed for you with the docs results though .....and I hope the council do the repairs on the shed before too long .

Rocks , rocks , rocks, I see them in my sleep now Guy!!!!. Years ago people had to commit murder to do time like I do it at the moment , well I think they had it a lot harder than me really !!!! ;D I can at least stop if I feel like it . Along the river I can look at the bank and see the line of rocks under the top soil, so it is over the whole of the land. Handy getting the strawberry plants and the raspberry canes , saves paying out money for them , something I have very little of  ;D. Thats why I take cuttings of everything I can , buy one and take as many cuttings as possible .
          More digging and gravel collecting tomorrow. I just hope that I don't hit too many huge rocks . All of the rock/stone that comes out of the plot, will now be going into the floor of the barn that I intend to put up very soon now, I need it for the hay in winter. It is funny how doing one job indirectly leads into another !
      Oh well ..off to dream of rocks now .... Russ.

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2008, 12:33:45 pm »
We too are not over furnished in the currency stakes :D so we hope to take runners off the strawberries and raspberries this year to increase our plant numbers and yeilds in the years to come , whilst selling off the glut of fruit we are going to have (theres optomistic for you ;D) -

rustyme

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2008, 01:15:27 pm »
whilst selling off the glut of fruit we are going to have (theres optomistic for you ) -
yes ...glass half full and all that ....always look on the bright side-----er, no thats a song !!.....
     I have just managed to dig a couple of rows of the plot per day, for a few days now. Haven't been able to get gravel for the shed floor as I have had to collect and lay rocks on the track. It is only the bit at the end where I turn the 4x4 round.The heavy frost has totally killed it ,and where as before, when it was very muddy , it is now frozen solid apart from the top 1/4",so the car just slides sideways instead of doing my usual 33 point turn . All the rocks from the plot are going into the ruts/holes at the moment, I think I shall have to collect a load from the river too. The pain of all that is , I have to carry the rocks uphill from the plot to the track ,about 70 yards . I can assure you 2, full of stone, 3 gallon buckets , are very heavy.Years ago I would have done the trip in one go.....well not any more ...lol, I have to stop halfway and catch my breath for 1/2 a minute or so . The river is another 60 yards away , but at least that bit is flat.... When I first got the land the track was very rough , and it took over 200 wheel barrow loads to fill all the ruts and holes. All of that stone came mainly off the fields and out of the river. Last year nothing got done to the track , well this year I think I am going to have to get a big lorry load of gravel , the track is about 350 yards long ....lots of gravel...oh well off now to collect some more stone and do a bit of digging....

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2008, 04:01:31 pm »
keep going Russ - yer nearly there!! luckily i dont need to worry about the old 33 point turn!! ive got a little (verylittle) fiat - carbon footprint and all that. the only downside is i cant find a trailer small enough for me to pull ! so although i can fit feed , straw , piglets etc. in it - i cant take them to abbatoir so have to rely on others!!! sounds great to have yer own stream -We are desperate to get some land , we tried buying the field behind us at auction last year but it went for £73000!!! for 12 acres. ive asked all the farmers around us to sell me just half an acre - but no joy , it seems they use every square inch of thier 40 - 50 acres each - maily used to store rusting machinery or let to go to ruin ( really productive ::))fields , fields everywhere but not a plot for me! i'm sure that fate has a reason for us not being able to live our dream fully - that glass is quickly going from half full to bone dry :D

rustyme

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2008, 04:38:38 pm »

that is the river as it was just after the next door farmer reworked it , it is different to that now. It looks very small but in fact is about 10 foot or so wide. I am lucky to have it on the land as it has never dried up , so always water for the animals. I do have 2 springs on the land as well.
     I know how you feel about getting some land , I was like that till 5 years ago when I got my little bit. Some land that looks like it is just left, is in fact set-aside , so farmer is getting paid to leave it that way. The other problem is access to land . Farmers don't want people too near them .   Keep looking though a patch will pop up in the end somewhere, it did for me. 73,000 for 12 acres...phew.. I paid 8,000 for my almost 6 acres . Mind you I don't think I would get it for that now.....as for the glass , well just keep pouring, it will fill in the end mate...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 04:53:13 pm by rustyme »

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2008, 05:58:07 pm »
wow - that looks lovely Russ , 6 acres for £8,000!!! prices certainly have gone up. Youre absolutely right , the right thing will turn up at the right time - i am a firm believer in that. I sometimes forget how lucky i am to be able to do the things we do - not everyone can produce their own fruit / veg meat and eggs out of their back garden ;D - that thar glass is filling as we speak (talking of which - i think ill open a bottle of celery 2007) - a vintage year , cheers 

rustyme

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2008, 06:21:44 pm »

the above should take you to a short video of the land , you should be able to see all the other videos and pics of the land on there too. It was the wrong time of year to shoot really , it looks really lovely when the trees and grass are really green. It is a very quiet spot , you can sit there all day and hear nothing but bird song ,well just the odd car here and there, and the odd tractor too oh and every now and then you get the jets go over at about 100 feet off the ground....oh well nearly perfect....lol. Most of the time it really is very quiet there though ! I look at my tiny bit of land every day and think how lucky I am to have it . Lots of work to do on it now this year . I need a barn on there and the house needs to get done too and a few sheds for cows and such and the water wheel for power and ..... well I had better stop there , the list just keeps going .... ;D
  I hope that glass isn't too big , that falling over water er celery wine sounds nice ...mind you I don't drink .. cheers anyway mate.....

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2008, 06:31:30 pm »
Ho Ho - we had two hercules go over today seemed about 100 ft but im sure it wasnt , although tell that to the pigs!! i guess thats the only downside with more land-more work to keep it maintained and of course more animals to fill it!!!!! vid looks great but how do you put pics and vids on? im no techno wizard more a tech. neanderthal,if it doesnt work ,hit it :D , better do the last round of the animals and garden i s'pose before i let the celery breath!!!
Ta ta 

rustyme

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2008, 06:52:54 pm »
to put pics or vids on you first need to start up a photobucket account ( if you don't already have one ? ), it is free and is a handy place to store all your digi pics and vids. Then, when you have got your pics/vids on there, if you want to put a pic on the forum just look above the bit you type a reply to a post in ,you have the little smiley things then above them you have the square boxes. To put on a picture you need the second one in ( insert an image ). Left click on the box once and you get this appear img][/img] ( there should be another bracket [ at the front , but if I put that in the text it tries to load a piccy up ) . You then go to your photobucket album and chose the pic you want to place on the forum . Below each picture there should be 4 lines of choice, you want the bottom one ( img code for a picture ) left click on that line and you will get a little yellow box appear that says ' copied '. Now go back to the forum post and place the curser bar between the central back to back  brackets of the img][/img] (remember there needs to another bracket [ at the front end..) and hit the left mouse button once. Job done , if you then hit preview you should see your picture appear. If you want to put the video link on the forum ? go to the third box, the one on the right of the insert image box. Click that once and then do the same as for the picture .  It takes ages to write it out , but only a second or two to do , very simple mate . It is just a pain at first ...... I hope at least some of that made sense ? cheers mate....
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 07:20:45 pm by rustyme »

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2008, 08:18:32 pm »
ta russ,
i will give that a go , or at least will try!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS