Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: the veggie plot.  (Read 196262 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: the veggie plot.
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 04:01:40 pm »
That's a good idea - why didn't I think of that? We have a market on Thusrady - it's full of crappy stuff, but there are fruit and veg stalls. Once we get our new piggies, I'll try that. Result!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 01:42:08 pm »
while in wales i found loads of 'small' shops selling the sack of carrots very cheaply all found the tatties very cheap in the sacks down there with beon the hunt   up here too.
I don't think their is a fruit/veg stall in alloa on a thursday or even a greengroucers in alloa. I do now they did do a fruit bara in tullibody on a thursday, not sure if they sell veg though
linz

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 06:44:42 pm »
Yup, definitely a fruit and veg stall at the Thursday market. Bags it's mine!

Rosemary

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 11:53:17 am »
hehe

rustyme

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 07:16:54 pm »
For 3 days now we have had lovely weather . Yesterday I was able to dig a few feet of the veggie plot over, and today I got a big( ish ) chunk dug over. I have to take things steady as I have a duff shoulder and back, so I will just carry on doing as much as I can while we have the dry weather. It really feels good getting things back into shape after so long . My aim is to have the lot dug and cleared by the end of the month ????? Seeing an area 20'x6'ish all turned and cleared is a real boost to my  enthusiasm , only another 1400 square feet to go .....I need the boost....

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 07:23:56 pm »
hip hip horay lol
I was think of 'digging' this week
but didn't happen as i got rushed to hospital with adomain pain.
Still not sure what it is waiting to see doctors but hospital said it is most prob an infection 'LOVELY'
 so all i can do at the moment is look at the weeds and will them to go away

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008, 07:28:20 pm »
Oh Linz, poor you.....hope you're up and about and raring to go very soon......the veggie plot/pots are beconning. :)
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

rustyme

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2008, 07:32:20 pm »
there are lots of bugs going round at the moment, hope yours is just one of them and soon goes away Linz...I had one a few weeks ago ....
         I tried the wishing weeds away thing too...it didn't work !!!! It is at times like this that I wish I could just spray the lot and be done with them all ..... but I do it all without chemicals, that just leaves elbow grease....perhaps someone has some of that going spare ? wish I did!!

« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 01:22:42 am by rustyme »

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2008, 07:35:49 pm »
* Fluffywelshsheep sends elbow grease and weed remove willing to rustyme

rustyme

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 07:41:50 pm »
lol....many thanks ....much needed and appreciated , every little bit helps....as soon as you are ready to hit the plot  your end, I will send some back to you .......

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2008, 07:45:35 pm »
I have no idea when that will be, have probs bending even to pick stuff up of the floor, not great for a 27 year old lol.

Today i am felling really old 1st time out of pj since saturday so not doing to bad.

rustyme

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2008, 07:55:33 pm »
I feel old every day...( maybe thats because I am ? ) but there is no point in rushing Linz !!! take your time and get well before you hit the plot. It took me years to learn to take things easy ...but I got there in the end.  Mind you there is no choice but to get out and carry on , the horses and dogs can't feed themselves....well the horses can later on ...but no grass at the moment. Oh the joys of being a smallholder...... ;D Woudn't want it any other way really....

Russ

rustyme

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 07:42:50 pm »
still good weather here in Wales today ! It was about 17 c again , for about the third day now. It isn't going to last though as it is set to go cloudy but much colder , down to about 6 or 7c over the next few days , roughly what it should be for this time of year.   However I have been able to dig everyday  , the shoulder and back have held up well so far . I still have to de-weed, and get all the grassy bits out of it at the moment , but that is much easier to do ,( than digging ! ) , although it can be a more long winded proccess , as you all know.... ::)   It has been sooooo nice not to be walking about knee deep in mud  !!!! I hope that at least some of you have had a bit of the lovely weather , and that you have been able to sort out all the winter damaged sheds and fences etc.... Oh well more digging tomorrow....

cheers

Russ

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 08:01:21 pm »
I too am so glad that the weather has been good here in France for the past week, Yesterday we managed to put up some much needed fencing for the veggie plot - keep the dogs out  ;) I can't stand that heavy feeling you get when all the mud sticks to your boots & then you lose them :P 

Donna
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

rustyme

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2008, 01:46:11 am »
The last couple of days have been much colder !! The main thing though is it has stayed dry !!!!
  I have managed to keep digging on the plot, although today I only got a bit about 18" x 18' dug . The reason for this was I had to dig a load of gravel out of the river, for the floor of my shed. I have to carry it in buckets for about 100 yards uphill in mud , so I can only do relatively small amounts. However it will only take a few days to get enough gravel to finish the floor , handy having a continual supply of gravel ,handy but hard work !!! lol. After I have finished the floor I can get back to digging the plot full time. They said on the weather that it was going to stay dry till the middle of next week at least..( with luck !! ), so I should be able to get the veggie plot dug completely. After that is done it will just be the digging of the sections for the grain . I measured them roughly today and they will be 8'x60', 4 of them . I also have to dig the ground for the comfrey plot !! , there is about 40'x15' of that left to dig. OMG !!!!! lots of digging left to do then ? The grain plots and the rest of the comfrey plot are all virgin ground too......so very hard work . At this time I can only hope I get it all done ...but at least the veggie plot will be up and running again . One more thing , I am now running out of digging tools .....the handles keep breaking .....I will have to make some new ones. Just one more job to add to the always ever increasing list .......

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS