Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: potatoes in bags  (Read 5001 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
potatoes in bags
« on: April 08, 2011, 08:18:56 pm »
I had a real problem getting rid of tiny potatoes after cropping them so didn't grow any the past couple of years but I have some chitted and ready to go and thought I'd put them in bags rather than the beds to see how that works..

Any advice on how to keep the bag - I have rolled down the top and put well rotted manure at the base then topsoil before the seed potatoes and put 4 to a bag tho that might work out too cramped I don't have many bags..  Was thinking I'd add more to the top as they grow to mimic rowing up, and water regularly but I'm not sure how much watering it'll need compared to bed grown, might dry out quicker but I don't want to waterlog them either ???

Has anyone bag grown potatoes and got tips?
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: potatoes in bags
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 09:10:58 pm »
It's really a case of suck it and see with bags and watering.  I used the builders type bags last year, quite successful till the bad weather came and i didn't get out to harvest them - they got really wet and rotted.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 09:17:58 pm »
give them a good soaking now and then dont water them again till you see green poking up.  then water regularly - you cant drown them cos the excess will just run out the bag (assuming you've put drainiage holes in?).

keep earthing up when the green haulms show, till your bag is full.

you can furtle around once you think they are ready (are the earlies) and if you like the size of them, then they are ready!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 09:20:32 pm »
With hindsight I think the big dumpy bags are too big.  I couldn't really rake around tro see what I'd got.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 06:25:39 am »
I'm doing a trial on growing  :spud: in bags this year, but the local stores were out of stock when I was ready to plant.  So I have planted-up some old wild bird seed bags (weaved plastic type with holes punched in the bottom) with the tops rolled down - manure & multi-purpose compost, will top-up the level as the shoots grow thro. 

I then noticed that Morrisons had some reusable shopping bags with piccys of  :spud: :spud: :spud: on them - 29p each  ??? ... so I bought 10 & planted-up 3 to a bag ... the shoots are just starting to appear  :D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 09:34:38 am »
i'm using buckets, i've never grown spuds before and didn't realise they grew so fast, i jusst keep covering the growth with more compost then a few days later i have to do it again.
kn

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 10:04:32 am »
I bought four potato bags last year, planted up (late) and they came to nothing. Didn't get a single potato that was big enough to bother with - and not many of those. The instructions said plant up with compost, cover, add more as the haulms show through.

This year I've done it differently: I planted up the bags with a mix of some compost but mostly soil from the veg plot (manured last year). I put the potatoes in and then filled the bags right up. I water every few days and already the haulms are starting to show through.

Can't say how many I'll get this year, but can't be worse than last!  ::)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 11:23:07 am »
Thanks - these are chaff/carrot sacks made of a plastic-y weave so should drain ok but only the size of a large feed sack so am rootling about for more bags as I think 1-2 plants is probably the limit rather than the 4 I was thinking..

These are roosters my favourite but I also have some maris in a sack that are sprouting so would like to use them up too now they're too soft to eat. I have 2 damaged builder bags I use to drag hay out and the bases are holey - how many in one of those and I'll think about replacement bags next winter ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 11:41:59 am »
I tried growing potatoes in sacks once without much success too. Masses of foliage but tubers not worth the effort.  If you miss any little tubers when you dig up your outdoor crop, it doesn't really matter because when they start to sprout you can see where they are and get them out then, and the crop you get from the ground is so much better and easier.  But for the builders bags I would think you might get 9 plants in there or am I being over-optimistic?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 11:52:09 am »
I tried growing potatoes in sacks once without much success too. Masses of foliage but tubers not worth the effort.  If you miss any little tubers when you dig up your outdoor crop, it doesn't really matter because when they start to sprout you can see where they are and get them out then, and the crop you get from the ground is so much better and easier.  But for the builders bags I would think you might get 9 plants in there or am I being over-optimistic?
I only had 6 in each and to be honest that was sufficient.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 06:33:40 pm »
cheap sacks of compost open at 1 end shove spuds as far down as you can add water as required, when ready to harvest split the whole bag take potato's use spent compost as top dressing for anywhere that needs it!!!

a 70litre sack of compost will take 2 good seed potato's to maturity quite easily.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 11:01:02 am »
I have purpose made bags and I also use feed bags with 2 tatties in. I have done this for about 6 years and always had good success even grown spuds for xmas. I also found that carrots and parsnips grown in bags do very well. I have very heavy clay and I'm still working on the veg plot adding more compost grit etc to get it more manageable so root crops are really a no go at the moment in the ground but a bit of creative thinking and I found I can grow them other ways.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 11:08:11 am »
My potatoes are just starting to show through ready for their first covering-up  ;D

AND I sowed some carrots & parsnips in my Morrisons shopping bags last weekend - couldn't find any with carrot or parsnip piccys on though, had to stick with the potato piccy ones, hope think the little roots won't mind  :D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS