Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sweetcorn and Beans (and Horseradish seeds)  (Read 6976 times)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Sweetcorn and Beans (and Horseradish seeds)
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 10:54:06 am »
Good thing about the method I use is you dig a trench fill with manure cover with a top covering of soil a couple of inches is more than enough then plant into the manure and it works a treat. The soil is only there to stop the manure from being exposed and drying in the sun and to hide the soaker hose.
I experimented with a few things to grow directly in manure as I have an abundance from the stable over winter.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 05:51:04 pm »
I didn't think you could plant direct into manure ??? so would be keen to know what works for you ellisr.. I have a large heap of 2-3yo horse manure, well rotted, which I just started digging into the veg beds this year but there is a whole lot left and I have space for another bed if I could just plant straight into manure..

I bet it's stuff I already planted in the beds tho ::)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

ATF

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Fife
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 08:38:36 pm »
i've also heard of people planting sunflowers instead of the corn

gonna try that too - i found a packed of sunflower seeds in the back of the cupboard

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 09:09:55 pm »
You can plant courgettes, pumkins and melons into neat manure and they do very very well. Beans do very well and my sweetcorn always does well. Don't plant tomatoes or potatoes into it or you just get green and little fruit or veg

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS