Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mastitis?  (Read 2959 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Mastitis?
« on: April 08, 2011, 08:54:05 am »
The goat who had the breech delivery, so prone to infection I'd say, is listless and has one half of her udder which is sore - but - it is actually smaller than the other side and not hot to the touch. 

I am about to go and try to milk her out a bit, but i am worried the kids won't have enough milk as she has triplets.  Vet called, but she won't be calling back with telephone advice til lunchtime.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Mastitis?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 10:01:19 am »
Mastitis is VERY serious.  The vet should attend without delay.  Antibiotics are needed,  not adfvice at this stage. An udder does not have to go hard or be hot  for it to be mastitis.   If the milk appears stringy even in the tiniest amounts... IT IS MASTITIS.

It is also possible that the goat has a mild milk fever...again serious.   Some calcium borogluconate injected sub cutaneously will sort that out very quickly.  Possibly 25ml injected under the skin in 4 separate places,  making 100ml in total.

Milk fever left untreated can result in death within a day or two.

Did the goat have any antibiotic after the breech birth ?

Sorry to be pessimistic but at times like this, speed is of the essence.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 11:49:36 am »
Vet called but not here yet. Fingers crossed!

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 12:22:08 pm »
She still had some infection in her uterus after the difficult birth and so she is back on antibiotics and painkillers - Milk is fine thank goodness, the vet suggested we give and extra 100ml to each kid for a few days while she gets back on form.

whew.....

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 02:29:34 pm »
Perhaps she did not cleanse completely... always worth checking the afterbirth to make sure it is complete.

Keep an eye on that udder for a day or two.  you could of course take the kids off completely , bottle them... you know how much they have had then.  You will also know how much milk the goat is giving... always difficult when kids are sucking.

Personally, I would take this opportunity to separate them .... the antibiotics will come thro' in the milk, did the Vet mention this.

100ml extra seems very little considering a bottled kid will consume in the region of 1500ml per day.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 04:53:47 pm »
I meant to put 100ml 4 times a day...just to top up.  I don't milk my goats so it's better for me if the kids keep on feeding from their mum.

We've still got one to kid still - hoping that will go OK!

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 06:49:36 pm »
Ahh!! now that makes more sense !!

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 10:39:03 am »
Quick update.  The goat is much perkier which is great - I have to give her another antibiotic injection and an anti-inflammatory one tonight.  Her udders still aren't really full, but the kids seem happy and not at all interested in my bottles!  I managed about 50ml per kid yesterday - not good - I even tried the old watch the aeroplane line!!

Their tummies seem full each time i have a look and they are quite happy and bombing around the pen, so she must have enough milk.  I'll keep on trying with the top-up bottles - any tips on how to make a kid with it's mouth clamped shut, drink?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS