Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Have I done the wrong thing?  (Read 6603 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Have I done the wrong thing?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 12:17:44 pm »
It is very difficult to get lambs to take the bottle once they are a couple of weeks old, and you can't tube them any more either. They are also getting quite a challenge to catch!

So the decisiosn is probably made for you by now, keep and eye on the ewe, make sure she has got extra feed, good grass and always lots of water. Alaso remember Mg lick, otherwise grass staggers and watch out for hypocalcaemia/milk fever too. Ewe has to produce quite a lot of milk....

Other thing is to maybe have a creep feeder for the lambs?

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 12:57:33 pm »
I do give the ewes feed and I've got a DIY creep feeder for the lambs but then will they eat it? and how can I make sure the ewe that need's more food gets it - they won't actually eat if I right there supervising? I'm probably over fussing but whats new.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 09:29:49 pm »
Lambs will start to eat creep feed pretty soon I guess, once they have worked out what it is and where... With the ewes I try and pen in two halves - one half comes into the pen (bullies and the not so bright ones) and the other (more timid ones and the ones that have worked out that the bucket is still more than half full) then get their food outside the pen. That way the bullies get a smallish share and the others also get enough.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS