Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Have I done the wrong thing?  (Read 6606 times)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Have I done the wrong thing?
« on: April 05, 2011, 04:01:14 pm »
We only have 4 ewes, 3 to lamb. They were scanned so I knew which we pregnant but it was done very late on so they didn't know how many lambs. Wiggy had twins - that was fine, Hotlips had triplets so I thought (probably wrongly) it was best to bottle feed one - so I took the smallest one to bottle feed and got him a pall from the local farm as they have lots needing bottle fed - he fed from mum for 2 days and then I took over, 2 days on he's taken to the bottle pretty well and Hotlips is out on grass with the larger 2 lambs. This morning Soreye (not sore anymore) had triplets too and now am doubting what I've done - I don't mind the work. Again one is a bit smaller. From reading previous posts lots of people top up the milk but these ewes aren't that friendly - only at tea time do they come up close but not really close enough for me the regularly catch lambs and the lambs can get pretty speedy pretty quickly. Therefore in my situation should I just take the smallest - thank you yet again for your time.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Have I done the wrong thing?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 04:26:09 pm »
I'd take the smallest- if you're already feeding two, another one won't make much difference. Maybe you could rig up a bucket feeder so that they can help themselves.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 05:00:05 pm »
Sheep are designed to have multiples.....I never take away a triplet unless there is a very good reason! Commercial flocks do as there are usually singles that can take another lamb but if the ewe is a big strong ewe with a good udder she will produce enough for 3 given good grass and good grub!
.......and why make work for yourself?
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

lamb_whisperer

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 05:15:42 pm »
Difficult, its better to leave with the ewe ... mother's milk is always best!  But sometimes the ewe seems like she is coping very well with three but as they get older and the lambs demand more of her, she may not be able to bring up all three.  then of course, the lambs is older and doesn't want any bottle milk.  I try to judge the ewe, what condition she is in, previously was she a good milker ....

I foster a lot too - if one has a single, I'll give it a triplet.  A ewe bringing up two lambs (providing both teats are fully functional) is always best I have found. 

If concerned, especially if it may be difficult to catch in the future, I'd feed one, and let her plough all she can into the other two.  it will keep her in better condition too.  Only my opinion though of what I have done in the past ... only 25 but have been brought up sheep farming!

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 05:30:27 pm »
I was told that it's better to take the strongest rather than the weakest as they have a better chance at thriving without a mother?

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 05:42:47 pm »
So, new answers and now I have more questions - yes I would like to leave with mum but as I've only had her 11 months I don't truly know her milk history, they are wee devils to catch once out on the grass - learnt that quickly with the first twins - day 3 time to do tails wish I'd done it before they went out - I was so concerned about getting Mum all spruced up forget the lambs tails and so eager to see them out on grass. Re take the smallest - these are 2 about the same and 1 about 2 sizes smaller so I would give her lots of attention - of course I realise Mum is best but do I come a close second or at the bottom of the pile!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 06:27:40 pm »
I don't get triplets (well, so far......) but way back when I had Jacobs and they mostly had 3 I left them all on, topping up if necessary.  If the lambs are used to it they will run to you when you have a bottle.
If you are taking one off, I was wondering if it would be better to leave ewe lambs (if destined for breeding) on the mother and any destined for meat could be the bottle reared option?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 07:37:29 pm »
I ve had a few triplets and the ewe has coped fine, just try and give her extra rasions if inside, if I had to take one for bottle feeding  id always take the strongest one as they will have reserves o fall back on and gives the smaller ones a chnce to catch up.
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 07:57:51 pm »
If you only have a handful of sheep it is easy to keep an eye on them.  I always leave triplets with the ewe for a week if I can and then take the smallest for the bottle as I would not be able to keep a close enough eye with the numbers we have.

You only take the largest one if you are trying to adopt it onto another ewe - that way it should get a head start.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 09:36:07 pm »
She lambed outside but I brought her in - 1. to bond and 2. so I can make sure all have fed etc and then 3. to make sure the ewe is all sorted before going out which I plan after 48 hrs - we don't have an abundance of inside space or open barns to keep them in for a long time - so possibly not the best situation but I guess I will learn when things go pear shaped - first bottle Jacob is a wee ram (destined for you know where) the second triplets are 3 ewes and I would like a friendly ewe which may encourage the rest - I'll probably regret it for some reason, we'll see - thanks for all the advice

lamb_whisperer

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 11:19:02 am »
If fostering, I always take the biggest lamb unless it appears a bit slow or unhappy, as a rule I look for the strongest.  If I am going to bottle a lamb, I take the smallest/thinnest.  The bigger ones can then fend for themselves feeding off the ewe but I keep an eye on them.  Then I can make sure I know what is going into the smallest lamb to make sure it gets all it needs.  The smallest lambs can often be bullied off the teats by the bigger lambs, especially if there's not a lot of milk to go round.  Plus, even though the powdered milk we use is very good, lambs always do better and finish quicker if feed on the ewe, so I like to keep the bigger lambs on her rather than set their growth back at all.  I could be wrong, but that's just how my father, grandfather and great grandfather taught me!

But I only bottle feed if I honestly feel the ewe isn't coping, or won't cope a little later on.  Most can cope with three as long as she feeds well and drinking plenty of water to help the lactation.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 09:40:18 pm »
No you haven't done the wrong thing at all - with only three ewes your chance of fostering on is pretty slim anyway, and if it feels safer to you then bottle feeding is the right thing! Advice if very conflicting, and it doesn't matter to the farmer with 1000 ewes if a few triplets don't make (or don't grow as well), however 2 lambs out of 10 in total would already be a quite a big %.... As long as you can bring your "pet" lambs to the abattoir/market when the time comes.

I always take the third lamb off the ewe (in the order: male, and the one most odd out in size - either the biggest or the smallest, so to leave the two on as evenly matched as possible). It is more work for me, but I sleep better (for the few hours I get at this time of year).

And I do have the advantage of two children who are fairly keen on bottle feeding, and this year hopefully enough goats milk to not have to buy tons of Lamlac.... but no lambs so far.... and a freezer full of goats milk...

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 10:06:56 pm »
I had this dilemma too as all 4 of my mules had triplets.  Left all with mum but managed to get one of one set to take a bottle so she comes looking when I put out some hard feed.  She has 3 bottles a day now and mum tops her up.  Others wouldn't take the bottle but next year I may persevere for longer as mums lost a lot of condition.

If you have been watching Lambing Live it recommends taking weakest off otherwise stronger lambs will take all the milk and they will get weaker.

I think if you had lambed inside it is possible to persuade them to take bottle, once they know what it is, if they are hungry when out they will look for you for a top up.

Good luck!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 10:14:03 pm »
Thank you Anke & Scotsgirl - I realise it may not be perfect and I didn't like little 'Jake' missing his Mum - but he's now very active and looks for the bottle and has a 'pall' and another tiplet to join him soon - the 2 bigger ones are doing well outside and Mum sees fine. Yes he has a name but he will be going, I managed it with the orphans I got in last year - i wasn't looking forward to it - but once they'd bowled me over a few times it wasn't so hard!! My aim is to keep everyone happy and healthy while they are here however long or short that time may be - hope everyone else lambings are going well

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 08:45:39 am »
Very interested in this thread. As just about to ask the same sort of question.
First time triplets here (we only have 9 ewes). They are now out with the others on grass. Supplement food given also.
All are about the same size, playing with the other lambs and mum seems well, she has always been a big sturdy ewe.
Most books say leave for 2 weeks and then supplement with a bottle. I don't want to do this unless I have too.
What do you think?
I suppose the answer is just to keep a watchful eye on mum and babes?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS