Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ram problem  (Read 3496 times)

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
ram problem
« on: April 03, 2011, 09:59:01 pm »
hi there we have a problem my wifes first orphan lamb last year it was the smallest and weak at first but he has grown into a sturdy blackface ram she is not keen on him going to slaughter we will not breed with him has anyone have any suggestions what we can do with him she would like to get him a good home cheers

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Re: ram problem
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:01:36 am »
anyone have any suggestions what we can do with him

It's a sad fact of life that there are too many males of sheep, cattle and allsorts born. There's only need for  so many teaser rams and unless he gets a job as one of those the best suggestion is to toughen up and send him for slaughter. Otherwise you'll finish up looking for a considerable amount of land and money to keep them.

I'm stuck with the same problem with a purebred Ryeland ram lamb .........
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 11:53:19 am »
You can get an adult ram castrated by the vet, but really they have already established their maleness by a year so not much use as a pet.  Rams used in breeding flocks are very carefully chosen and unfortunately one which began life as a runt is not going to cut the mustard.  He is going to have to go or you will end up with a large, randy, frustrated bully which could be a danger.  It will be kinder to make the decision now - by which I mean he has to go for slaughter.  For the future, get any orphan lambs castrated within the first week of life. It's a hard lesson - sorry :sheep:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 02:35:20 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 01:42:00 pm »
unfortunately one which began life as a runt is not going to cut the mustard.   :sheep:

He will however be able to cut the mint sauce ......... My Ryeland ram lamb is under the week old, he will undoubtedly lose them.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 03:40:41 pm »
If you can't bring yourself to eat him, you must get him castrated. Entire males that were reared as pet lambs are a liability.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS