Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lump on udder  (Read 7795 times)

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
lump on udder
« on: April 03, 2011, 03:26:53 pm »
I turned one of my ewes out yesterday and while i was checking her udder i noticed she has a golfball sized lump on it. It's not hot and she doesn't have any signs of mastitis. I gave her a jab of pen and strep and another one this morning. She's eating well and the lambs seem to be feeding fine.The lump didn't appear any smaller this morning.
Do you think i should call the vet on monday or do they sometimes just have these lumps.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: lump on udder
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 05:20:15 pm »
I've never had a ewe have a lump on her udder, that didn't end up with mastitis. So if she was mine, I'd be talking to the vet. (I'd have given her a penicillin shot too)

Could be all sorts of things I suppose, but since 'black bag' is a nightmare, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Where on the udder is it?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 06:28:34 pm »
I agree absolutely, but I do have a ewe who has had a lump on her udder for the last couple of years. It's in the midline so is probably some kind of minor hernia but certainly doesn't cause any problems.  When we first found it though we went through all the antiBs, vet etc before eventually establishing that it's not significant.
But definitely get it investigated first.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 10:52:36 pm »
It's on the stomach side of the udder and is a totally round firm lump. I will call the vet tomorrow morning, thanks for your input.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 12:18:35 am »
Do let us know the verdict Elissian  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:00:45 pm »
Lumps in the udder are not uncommon normally golf ball size seem to be  in the middle join of the two quarters maybe cysts ? dont seem to bother the ewes but i presume it could reduce milk potential.IF the lump is at the top of the teat canal or in the teat canal that is mastitis damage during drying off (weaning )  and that quarter is totaly damaged

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 07:37:00 pm »
Today did not turn out to be a good day to call the vet as the humans(all 3 generations)in my family needed more of me than usual!
But my ewe seems to be doing fine, still no heat in her udder or any other lumps or swellings and she doesn't seem to object to the butting of her lambs when they want their milk, she stands well for them and is eating well.
Wish my other ewes would hurry up, checking 2 hourly every night with no results is playing havoc on my sleeping pattern! Wouldn't have it any other way though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS