Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which energiser to choose ?  (Read 8824 times)

HappyHippy

Which energiser to choose ?
« on: April 01, 2011, 04:18:16 pm »
Well folks, I've decide to give the mains electric fencing a go (Kaitlin will be made to wear rubber boots AT ALL TIMES  ;) ;D) since I'm parting with valuable cash, I'd like advice as to which brand is best - in your opinion, so I hopefully don't end up making a terrible mistake.
The 3 which are on the shortlist are
1) Horizont M7
2) Rutland ESM402
3) Pel 450
Any favourites of a similar standard which I may have missed ?
Also for permanent fences (for pigs) would you stick with the tape or go for a wire or braid instead ?
Looking forward to everyone's opinion,
Karen  :wave:

robert waddell

Re: Which energiser to choose ?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 04:29:22 pm »
go for the most powerfull  one       ours is an electric Sheppard 7000-8000 volts  rubber boots is no use  ask Lillian and i can also vouch for this
a wire is harder to see both for yourself and any pig   they are comming on 20-25 years old now :wave:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 04:36:44 pm »
Hiya Karen  :wave:

How's Portia?

We got a Hotline Gemini 80 (dual) from UK Country Stores - working from a leisure battery at the mo really well for us, but also runs on mains.  We got it on sale, but it's gone back up to £83.50  :P

Using the tape at the mo - thought they would be able to see it  ::) once shocked never to go near it again  ;D it does slacken a bit in the wind, so have to adjust the stakes over the field when we've had a gale (running from a battery only energiser) , but the tape on the ring insulators down the woods is fine.

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 04:42:12 pm »
o and a good earth point   wet it in the summer or when dry it has to be wet to get the best earth  and when they touch it it cracks like a whip :wave: have fun  :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 06:53:49 pm »
Well, I'm thinking of siting the energiser in the garage, which is close (ish) to the pond - lots of good conductivity there  ;)
I'm thinking tape, held to existing posts with outriggers that clamp the tape in place (I've also found tensioners for tape - they don't tell you about them in the plastic stake and battery energiser kits  ;)) I've also seen mention of making an existing stock fence electrified - but that will take more investigating  :-\
The Horizont one has 13,000V maximum capacity and I've got to admit I'm kinda drawn to this one because it's stated that it copes best with long vegitation like grass & nettles and with a fence length capacity of up to 20Km I think it should just be about big enough to fence the entire farm  ;) ;D No more pesky deer getting into my lovely juicy young trees and I'll be able to connect a chicken net to make sure Mr Fox doesn't get to my chooks when I move them to (what's going to eventually be) the orchard.
I got my guide to electric fencing in today so have been reading up  ;) I'm probably like how most women are when looking at shoes  ;D Kid in a sweet shop  ;D
Incidentally it's from Fearing International and is free of charge - really handy for anyone else, like me, that doesn't really know much about electric fences http://www.fearing.co.uk/Spreedrite-Electric-Fencing-Manual/Default.aspx I don't feel so scared now - but will be ordering another pair of doc martens or really good rubber wellies, just in case  :o (might not actually make any difference, but if I think it won't hurt...................then maybe it won't ;) ;D

Portia's doing fine guys  ;) She's looking lighter on her feet already (probably cos Red's chasing her round the paddock ALL THE TIME trying to have his way with her  :love: ;D) She's just going out of season now, no signs that he's been 'at her' just yet - but he was making a very determined effort when I looked out the window a wee while ago, so I'll go out later to give her a cuddle for you and check for any 'evidence' lol! She's a very lovely little lady and is looking totally settled. I think we'll give Red another chance if she returns to season in 3 weeks, but if he's not doing his thang by then, maybe need to consider Sydney stepping in and taking over (more experienced for a maiden gilt AND proven fertility) though the Berkshires are due to be in season this coming week - if they're not then Red's doing alright  ;) We can discuss when/if the time comes. I'll keep you updated - expect a text if I see them at it  ;D
Karen  :wave:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 07:27:24 pm »
Go for the new Docs Karen - at least if you get caught the pain will be worth it   ;)

Bet we won't recognise Portia when she's ready to come home  ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

waterhouse

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 11:39:17 pm »
I use Horizont stuff - energiser, insulators and tensioners - and its brilliant.  I bought the N50 mains unit which has 6 joules of stored energy and burns off vegetation very well.  Gallaher is good too as is Rappa.

The 20km is a maximum figure.  It assumes you use high tensile wire in a permanent installation.  Wire has very low electrical resistance, a lot lower than 40mm tape and hugely better than string and 10mm tape.  But you need to use tape if you want the animals to see it.  That's essential with horses but I don't know about pigs.  Tape is very variable in quality: cheap tape has fewer conductors, is less UV stable and stretches more.  Floppy tape is a pain and will leak voltage esp when it rains. 

I don't see how you can electrify stock fence.  You would need non conductive fence posts (which are available but v.expensive) and a gap to the ground.  A good earth is essential as others have mentioned - use several spikes if you can.  And if you use a tape gate run a live wire underground between the gate posts so that the tape is dead when disconnected.  Hot flapping tape is hazardous.

Good luck with the rubber boots but I doubt it will help a lot.  If the fence is going to dissuade pigs then its going to hurt a lot when you touch it.  And you will...  Back of the shoulders is my favourite.

si-mate

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Kent
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 02:54:08 pm »
I'd go Hotline as their units all come with a 2 year warranty and after that time can be repaired if required. A lot of cheaper units are throw-away if they go wrong.

Also buy it from a bricks and mortar store rather than online, that way if you do have problems they can be sorted promptly.

pugwash

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 05:18:50 pm »
Ditto above,buy from a store not online and ask them that if it  needs repairing can they repair inhouse.I used to work for Rutland fencing and i know that some stores repair themselves, and will even loan you a spare unit if they have to send it back to the factory for repair.You wont get this sort of service online.
How far have you got to fence and are you just relying on the electric fence or are you putting a strand inside stock fencing?
As been said before buy the one you can most afford with the largest power output (joules) as most energisers kick out about 9-10000v.
its the joules or stored energy which pushes the current down the fence so the more joules the longer the fence line can be.
And i dont care what anyone says,any veg on line will drasticly reduce current flow.
hope this helps

pugwash

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 05:23:45 pm »
Forgot to add the most important bit of your whole system is the earth stake.for a mains fencer get a 2m one not just a bit of old rusty metal but a proper galv one.Most problems with peoples fence systems are poor earthing.

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 05:43:47 pm »
or better get a copper earth rod  and yes PUGWASH is right about the vegitation but it is the same as everything else dont just go by what is written  :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 07:03:14 pm »
Well, I went for the Horizont one.
It's a 6 joule, 13000V maximum capacity and deals best with long vegitation (which may be an issue as it's Kune Kunes in a fairly large area) I've gone for a 20mm tape with 6 conductor strands in it (seemed the best option price -v- conductivity wise) We'll be using the clips which we'll screw into our existing fence posts and they have a rubber bit that clamps the tape in place and we got heavy bolt and D ring corner strainers. I read up and decided to order 3, 2m galvanised earth spikes (want to be sure of a good earth system) so everything is here now. Just need to get out there and start fencing. Why, oh why do schools need to close for the holidays  ::) ;D
Thanks for all your advice folks  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 07:54:56 pm »
do they still tell you in the instructions that the only way to test the earth is through your body    now you know i dont take the mikey :wave: :wave: :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 08:57:52 pm »
Er no, they don't say that  :o
It's more of a "short circut the system by laying steel rods across it and check with a voltmeter" type system they recommend for testing now  ;) ;D
Though I'm certain that Kaitlin will test it for us VERY soon after it's working  ::) :o

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 09:39:39 pm »
or your dog funny as anything  :o we have to laugh when our dogs touch the wire  :wave: we love our dogs but still funny :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS