Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Minimum amount of land for sheep  (Read 11847 times)

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
Minimum amount of land for sheep
« on: March 29, 2011, 11:14:26 am »
How much room do you need to keep two sheep?
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Minimum amount of land for sheep
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 01:01:54 pm »
Never mind, WG, open questions give us a chance to explore other issues around sheep keeping with Eastling  ;D and that's always interesting.

Agree with WG, Eastling, have you thought about the questions that WG poses? Fattening a few lambs over the summer would be most straightforward; keeping a flock of wethers or unbred ewes as lawnmowers would be next with breeding sheep the most complicated.

Shawn

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 02:20:16 pm »
Good stupid question Eastling it saved me asking it also a good answer WG so if prepairing to bread this autumn i guess you will still only need one acre but have  options to expand it for the new additions?? we are planning to bread our two sheep this year and expand the flock over time and send some for slaughter. we have two sheep and two goats on 2 acre at the moment but we do have an option to increase the grassing how is all this best achieved. can they have too much grassing ?????

sjw

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 04:02:45 pm »
Thanks for this advice, cos I've been pondering the same question! If I were to split up a 1 acre paddock as suggested, could this be done with electric fencing for sheep, or would I need to put up more permanent stock-fencing to divide the two half-acres effectively? Not sure whether electric fence is any good for keeping sheep in or not!

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 04:08:59 pm »
The reason I asked is we are doing a landshare and the person interested in having the land originally wanted to keep chickens and grow veg, then to keep 3 goats and now has said she wants to keep two sheep!!! I don't think there is enough land for all.
Just wanted peoples opinion as we don't have any experience with sheep. So that was the reason for the generic question!!
The whole area is about  60 x 20 metres

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 04:11:04 pm »
Thank you for your replies this does help and I shall now say no to the sheep as I was concerned for thier welfare.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 04:23:01 pm by Eastling »

SussexRanger

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Sussex
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 05:26:54 pm »
I wouldn't keep 2 sheep on that space :) good decision
My dream - A smallholding!

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 06:22:47 pm »
In reply to the elctric question bit - all my sheep are fenced with electric - 2 strands or three if there are some naughty sheep in the field!

I rent about 100 acres and can't afford to sort all the fencing out for someone else so electric works a treat but it can depend on your breed and also how much fleece they have as we all now what a good insulator it can be!

sjw

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 06:41:13 pm »
Thanks FF. I'm looking at getting Ryelands, which I hear are not as prone to gymnastic-antics as some others, but they do look pretty well-fleeced!

cheryl

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Essex
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 06:43:59 pm »
sjw - a friend of mine keeps ryelands, they seem to be experts at getting underneath an electric fence, probably because of the wool on their head - she shaves the naughty ones lol!

sjw

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 06:51:10 pm »
Oh dear... That sounds like it could be a bit epic. Thanks for the warning! Guess as long as the fencing around the whole perimeter was good and I just used the electric fencing to sub-divide and strip-graze, I could take my chances...!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS