Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: still keep the licky buckets in the field?  (Read 4055 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
still keep the licky buckets in the field?
« on: March 28, 2011, 09:23:41 pm »
Hi

prob a silly question, the grass is starting to grow and im lowering the amounts of concentrate that im feeding to the ewes and lambs, do you all keep the mineral licks out in the field all year around to make sure they get all there mins and vits?
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Re: still keep the licky buckets in the field?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 08:08:14 am »
I keep the lick in the field all year round.  I've noticed that since I've moved the sheep in a field with nicer grass they are not really obsessed with the lick now.  It seems that sheep can sometimes be sensible and only lick when they really feel the need.

Of course if someone with experience says otherwise I would remove it.  Let's wait and see!  :)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 08:55:52 am »
Mine have one all year round and it works fine for me. They don't seem to use so much in the spring summer as autumn winter so it really doesn't cost much but just now when the ewes have lambs I like the extra minerals etc to be there to help them through the stress.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 09:21:44 am »
I leave mine in too. Would agree that consumption falls through spring and summer, but it's there as a backup.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 12:19:15 pm »
Find what minerals your area is lacking in and get the licks to substitute :)

Ta

Baz

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 12:37:31 pm »
My flock small and arrived late last year so I'm keeping a mineral lick in with them as there is about 1/2 left. Might be worth just keeping one in there, just in case they want it. Don't know price of the ones you use but if cheaper maybe put one of the block sheep mineral licks in there for the next few months?

:sheep:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:58:33 pm »
I have a Yellow Rockie in every field - it has magnesium, cobalt, iodine, selenium, sodium, iron, manganese and zinc. They cost £2.75 each. I also have rock salt, which I buy in a 20kg bag. I keep these in old sinks with drain holes, so that any rain drains out. I also have a Crystalyx Standard in with the ewes, tups and calves. Shortly, these will change to the Garlyx one to try to deter flies.

There are so many products - this is a bit belt and braces but I know from our soil tests that some of these nutrients are low in the soil, so certainly low in the grass as well.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 07:45:40 pm »
thanks for all your replies, will keep them supplied in the fields, next question to be posted is linked !!
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS