Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep and field!  (Read 5050 times)

SussexRanger

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Sussex
Sheep and field!
« on: March 28, 2011, 07:47:35 pm »
Hello everyone, my names Richard, im 21 from East Sussex and im doing a Countryside managment degree, nearly finished it. Its mainly conservation based however my main interests are in animals, and i should of done an Animal science degree. However i have had expierience working on a sheep farm in the past (couple of years ago) with lambing, general duties etc, due to the size of chickens, i have been able to keep many different types of poultry so im quite up on that, having kept lots of breeds i now have a small laying flock, but would love some more space and larger animals.

The reason im posting is because im thinking about possibly renting some land and getting some sheep on it, im passionate about farming in general and working the land in any shape or form, just something ive alyways wanted and wondered how practical it would be to do this. Anybody out there with any suggestions as to how hard it would be? it would be great to hear from you.

Im open to any offers for getting my foot in the door with starting up a flock, maybe help at lambing time for free to keep my sheep within someone else's flock, i dont know! im guessing i would need to register myself and get a holders number etc.

Thanks Rich, hopefully someone will post :)
My dream - A smallholding!

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
Re: Sheep and field!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:21:26 pm »
hello Richard :)   had you been nearer you could have helped here       A fabulous quest and i wish you lots of luck :sheep: :sheep:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 08:24:26 pm »
Hi, Rich

Hope someone can help you here. Any particular breed you're interested in?

SussexRanger

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Sussex
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 08:39:58 pm »
Thanks Padge, and Rosemary tbh i would probably want to start off with some Mule x's for good sized lambs and easy lambs, i really like suffolks, and the local southdown breed.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 09:00:27 pm »
whereabouts are you in sussex ?
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 09:21:50 pm »
My advice is to start small and then once you are happy knowing the ropes you can expand.  I started with 3 acres and 5 sheep and now rent over hundred acres and have 250 ewes plus lambs!

Go for it!  Although I do think it would be easier if I had either inherited it or married it (land that is), but beggars can't be choosers and I enjoy it all the same!

You are welcome to come and stay down in sunny devon for a bit of practice if you want.  We still have a couple of our original southdown ewes despite having gone for a "proper" commercial flock now of lleyns and highlanders with hampshire down, charrolais, highlander and lleyn rams, although this will be the last year for the southdowns as they are ten now and both had issues at lambing time this year.   

SussexRanger

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Sussex
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 10:43:57 pm »
whereabouts are you in sussex ?

I live in Plumpton Green, inbetween Lewes and Burgess Hill.

SussexRanger

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Sussex
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 10:51:40 pm »
My advice is to start small and then once you are happy knowing the ropes you can expand.  I started with 3 acres and 5 sheep and now rent over hundred acres and have 250 ewes plus lambs!

Go for it!  Although I do think it would be easier if I had either inherited it or married it (land that is), but beggars can't be choosers and I enjoy it all the same!

You are welcome to come and stay down in sunny devon for a bit of practice if you want.  We still have a couple of our original southdown ewes despite having gone for a "proper" commercial flock now of lleyns and highlanders with hampshire down, charrolais, highlander and lleyn rams, although this will be the last year for the southdowns as they are ten now and both had issues at lambing time this year.   

Thanks for the offer! My uncle actually has a small holding in West Dorset, around 40 acres, accept he has Red Devon cattle haha, sais everyone has sheep and prefers beef. I prefer the sheep, easier to manage and make less damage to the land. My girlfriend also studys at Exeter Uni so i may well take you up on your offer! Possibly.. see what happens with a job after course etc. I totally agree with starting off small, im only 21, and if i started now with a few sheep and built it up year on year etc who knows how many i could have in 10, 20 years time..

Rich

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 07:34:18 pm »
Go for it Rich, on one condition...you stay with us and share your experiences, from the youthful perspective !!  ;D ;D ;D
Then the rest of us can live your dream with you, by proxy!! I do wish i had had the where-with-all to start when i was 21 !
Good luck with it all
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS