Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: blowfly prevention - effective organic/safe alternatives?  (Read 5201 times)

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
blowfly prevention - effective organic/safe alternatives?
« on: March 28, 2011, 07:23:58 pm »
As title really, I am wondering if there are any effective alternatives to Crovect/Dysect etc? Unfortunately I have been ill with allergies, including anaphylaxis and have been advised against using these, even with protection, as well as staying away from treated animals as I seem to react adversly to the chemicals in them, just wondering if anyone has come accross any suitable longlasting and safer alternatives - we try and get our ewes and rams shorn early and haven't treated them at all for the last 2 years and haven't seen any strike on them, however the lambs need treating as they can get blowfly problems. Thinking aloud we could consider shearing the lambs although I feel that could affect the saleabilty of those going as breeding stock.
thanks for any advice

www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: blowfly prevention - effective organic/safe alternatives?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 08:20:03 pm »
Organic farmers can also buy blowfly traps that you put on the fence around a field

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 08:21:19 pm »
Anybody used this stuff? I don't like using chemicals but fly strike is such a horrible thing.

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 08:45:51 pm »
thanks sfs, do you know how frequently it needs applying? We have just under 90 lambs so also wondering how much they need and considering pricing. Do you have any feedback on its effectiveness at all?

re blowfly traps, will look into using these in resting areas near hedgerows, although whilst this would have an effect on the local blowfly population am thinking it is not likely to eliminate it, but could potentially work alongside herbal repellant.

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 09:13:02 pm »
Hi,

I'll have a look at the bottle in the morning and let you know - Ill also try to contsct some customers and ask their view on the product - as although we invite reviews only a very small % of customers actually provide one.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 10:37:49 am »
thanks sfs it would be interesting to hear how well it works, on a google search I came across it mentioned on another forum, several years ago, and someone it didn't last well, ie a problem after 10 days, and not very good in rain, but the formulation may have since improved.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 01:26:44 pm »
Organic farmers can also buy blowfly traps that you put on the fence around a field

I was looking at this as an alternative/add on as I still had a few cases last year even though I used chemicals. I would prefer not to use chemicals if I could help it but after last year it does leave me a bit nervous just using traps.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 04:06:10 pm »
I've used the blowfly repel spray - it seems to work -it smells very strong. I used it about once a week. I have Wiltshire Horn and because they have very little fleece, just put on a dot of Crovect against headfly and spray the rear end with the organic stuff.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS